Competitive price quotes must be obtained for purchases whose value exceeds $25,000 OR whose value exceeds $10,000 and is directly charged or transferred to a Sponsored Project (GCA01).
FOR SPONSORED PROJECT (GCA01) PURCHASES
Due to new Uniform Guidance requirements effective July 1, 2018, all purchases between $10,001 - $25,000 directly charged or transferred to a Sponsored Project (GCA01) require a minimum of two quotes from different suppliers prior to the purchase. If two quotes are not obtained, the charge will not be allowed on a sponsored project as a direct charge or cost transfer from other funds and the PI's department or the Dean’s office will be responsible for the expense.
Exception: If the purchase is deemed a single/sole source or an approved contracted supplier is used the two-quote minimum is not required. See UVM’s Contracted Supplier List (Excel), which includes contracts that are competitively bid by the University of Vermont, the State of Vermont (SOV), or one of the purchasing consortiums of which UVM is a member.
Additional information can be found in the Uniform Guidance Requirements on Small Sponsored Project Purchases FAQs (PDF).
FOR ALL OTHER PURCHASES
Prior to making any purchase whose value is between $25,001 and $100,000, departments must collect and compare price quotations for the good or service from at least three suppliers. These price quotations must be recorded on a Quotation Evaluation Form (PDF) that is submitted with the requisition.
Request for Proposal (RFP)
A Request for Proposal (RFP) process must be conducted by Purchasing Services in partnership with the requesting department for purchases or leases whose value exceeds $100,000, regardless of contract term.
The Guidelines for an RFP Process (PDF) describes the process and its requirements in more detail.
For questions regarding current or future RFPs, please contact the Purchasing & Contracting Specialist responsible for the applicable good or service.
Non-Competitive Purchases (Single/Sole Source)
In cases where it is not possible to obtain competitive pricing (e.g., only one supplier provides a given product or service), departments must submit a Single/Sole Source Justification Form (PDF) to Purchasing Services to request approval of a non-competitive purchase. Examples of appropriate non-competitive purchase categories include, but are not limited to: electric utilities, Apple computers direct from manufacturer, current consortia agreements, and State of Vermont contracts.
Policies & UOPs
- Automobile Rental (PDF)
- Business Meals, Hospitality, and Amenities (PDF)
- Contract Approval and Signatory Authority (PDF)
- Employee vs. Independent Contractor (PDF)
- Movable Equipment (PDF)
- Procurement or Lease of Goods and Services and Procurement Contract Approval and Signatory Authority (PDF)
- Professional Consulting Services (PDF)
- Travel (PDF)
- More finance & business policies & UOPS
- Employee vs. Independent Contractor Determination
- New Supplier W-9 (Word) (UVM authentication required)
- Quotation Evaluation (PDF)
- Services Agreement template (Word)
- Services Agreement for Photography/Videography/Web Design (Word)
- Single/Sole Source Justification (PDF)
- Speaker Engagement Letter template (Word)
- Virtual Speaker Engagement Letter template (Word)
- UVM VT Sales Tax Exemption (PDF)
- More finance-related forms