UVM's purchase order process is administered by the Purchasing Services department within University Financial Services (UFS). Purchasing Services is responsible for establishing, providing oversight of, and ensuring compliance with all University procurement requirements. The Purchasing team helps faculty and staff identify, select, and acquire needed goods and services as economically as possible. All University personnel are required to follow University purchasing and procurement policies and procedures to ensure that quality and service standards are met and to provide accountability of University expenditures.
If you have questions about the following transactions/processes, please contact the applicable department.
Important changes - Speaker Engagement Letter templates and instructions 10/27/23
- The two Speaker Engagement Letter (SEL) templates have been revised and combined into one form for all speaker types. Hybrid, In-Person and Virtual speaker events along with the accessibility guidance are now combined into one single new SEL template (Word).
- The new Speaker Engagement Letter instructions (PDF) have also been updated.
- Key resources have been refreshed, including the Services Agreement templates, contracted supplier file, and the Purchasing & Payments Methods Reference Guide( PDF). The latter has been revised with new instructions for honorarium payments.
- It is always best practice to use current forms and instructions directly from our website before each use.
- Please begin using the updated forms for requests today!
Enhancements and updates to many forms, instructions & training guides - 7/23
- All speaker letter and services agreement templates have been revised and updated.
- The Single/Sole Source Justification (PDF) and Quotation Evaluation Forms (PDF) are now in a fillable format for easier use.
- Short training videos are available which address most frequently asked questions from requisitioners. See User Guides/Training section in the secondary menu.
- Key resources have been refreshed, including the Purchasing & Payments Methods Reference Guide (PDF). This is a great tool for departments and has been expanded to cover more commodities for goods and services.
To ensure you are accessing the most current versions, it is always best practice to use forms and instructions directly from our website before each use.
Services Agreements - Change to Review Level Threshold - 7/18/23
The dollar-level threshold for footprint review on UVM Services Agreements has been increased to greater than $5,000. See our revised Services Agreement Templates Instructions (PDF) for more details.
Airgas Price Increase for Helium and CO2 effective 7/7/23
Due to factors including global disruptions, low availability and delays in new production facilities and the continued allocations by the Bureau of Land Management, the price for Helium products will be increasing effective July 7, 2023. Due to unanticipated CO2 source plant closures, sourcing price increases and market volatility of feedstock, the price for CO2 products will be increasing effective July 7, 2023. Pricing information can be accessed through the UVM Contracted Suppliers list (Excel).
Lowe's Key Fob Program discontinued 04/28/23
The Lowe’s Key Fob program ended on April 30, 2023. The fobs will no longer work when making a purchase at Lowe’s stores. Your accounts will still be active at Lowe’s and should reflect our tax exemption. Contact Purchasing Services if you have any questions.
Sustainable T-shirt purchasing initiative 08/25/22
Purchasing Services and the Office of Sustainability encourage all departments to switch their t-shirt purchases to sustainable choices. We have researched best options and recommended suppliers. Read more about our new Sustainable T-Shirt Purchasing Guidelines.
Uniform Guidance Update: Micro and Small Purchases using Federal Funds (Effective January 1, 2021 for UVM)
Uniform Guidance (UG) is the set of federal regulations (see 2 CFR 200) that drives research administration and allowable costs, with procurement guidance in sections 200.317 - 200.326. The procurement sections focus on increased competition and transparency.
On November 12, 2020, the UG revised the micro-purchase threshold limits from $10,000 up to $50,000 with specific requirements for audit purposes. This is great news, and UVM has made the decision to increase its micro-purchase threshold to $25,000, which is in line with UVM’s existing policy and procedures.
What this mean for departments:
- Micro-purchases: Thresholds will be revised from $10,000 to $25,000. As long as the pricing is considered reasonable, purchases will not require competitive bids (multiple quotes). Micro-purchases must be distributed equitability among qualified suppliers (to the extent practicable).
- Small purchases over $25,000: Will be required to follow UVM’s policy, by obtaining three quotes from multiple sources prior to the purchase. If multiple quotes are not obtained, the charge will not be allowed on a federally funded sponsored project; unless a single sole source justification is allowed/approved on a federally funded sponsored project.
- Purchases over $100,000: Will also be required to follow UVM’s policy, by processing a Request for Formal Proposal via Purchasing Services office.