Travel has inherent risks. It is important to identify what risks a trip might entail, and either avoid or mitigate them to assure UVM travelers' health and safety.

Read Risk Management & Safety's Travel Safety Guidelines for specific information relating to:

  • Travel Accident Insurance
  • Field Trips
  • Study Abroad
  • Global Health and Safety

See the International Travel page for specific resources relating to international travel.

Safety & Insurance FAQs

Do I need travel accident insurance?

UVM maintains an Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy covering “employees injured while riding as a passenger in, or boarding or alighting from any land or water conveyance, or riding in a passenger in, or boarding or alighting from any civil aircraft in connection with UVM-related travel.” Please see the Travel Accident Insurance policy and contact Risk Management & Safety if you have questions regarding this coverage.

Am I covered by worker’s compensation if I am injured while traveling on UVM business?

Yes. Medical expenses related to the treatment of a work-related injury or illness are covered under worker's compensation. These expenses include doctor, hospital, and physical therapy services, prescription medication, and medical equipment. Alternative treatments such as massage therapy and acupuncture must be pre-approved.