Please see the Travel Policy for full details of international travel requirements. 

  • Pre-approval is required via a PeopleSoft Travel Authorization for international travel on University business outside of the U.S. or Canada.
  • Sponsor approval of foreign travel may also be required. Please contact Sponsored Project Administration with questions. Travelers funded by federal grant or contract monies are required to comply with the Fly America Act
  • International travel meal rate = $75 per day without receipts; $90 with receipts
  • International SOS provides emergency travel services abroard while students, faculty, and staff are engaged in UVM-approved business, research, or study.

International Travel FAQs

Do I need travel accident insurance?

UVM maintains an Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy covering “employees injured while riding as a passenger in, or boarding or alighting from any land or water conveyance, or riding in a passenger in, or boarding or alighting from any civil aircraft in connection with UVM-related travel.” Please contact the UVM Department of Risk Management & Safety if you have questions regarding this coverage.

Am I covered by worker’s compensation if I am injured while traveling internationally on UVM business?

Yes. Medical expenses related to the treatment of a work-related injury or illness are covered under worker's compensation. These expenses include doctor, hospital, and physical therapy services, prescription medication, and medical equipment. Alternative treatments such as massage therapy and acupuncture must be pre-approved.

I traveled internationally. My meals totaled $83 each day. Some days I have the receipts, some days not. Will I be reimbursed $90 for each day?

No. For the days that there are no meal receipts, the maximum of $75 per day is allowed. For the days that there are receipts totaling $83, the reimbursement will be $83.

Do export control restrictions govern what I may bring with me when traveling?

Yes. When traveling abroad, any physical items or technical data in your possession are considered to be “exported” from the U.S. to your destination(s). However, in most situations, commercially available University-owned electronic devices and software (e.g., laptops, data storage devices) qualify for the “tools of the trade” exception; similarly, personally owned items (e.g., cell phone) qualify for an exception and, as such, would not require a license for most countries. All data must qualify as public domain.

The following restrictions also apply where exceptions otherwise exist:

  • Travel must be for less than one year’s duration
  • Equipment must be reasonable and qualify as equipment that people in your discipline would generally recognize as a “tool of the trade” provided other restrictions do not apply
  • You must maintain effective control of the item(s) at all times by retaining physical possession or securing the item in a hotel safe or locked or guarded facility
  • Travel cannot be to an embargoed country
  • Certain research equipment, software/source code, select agents, and toxins may not qualify
  • The exemptions do not cover any hardware controlled under the United States Munitions List (USML) and high-tech encryption products (generally over 64 bit)

If you have questions regarding what items you may bring on your trip, please contact the Associate Vice President for Research Administration before your trip.

In addition to export control considerations, other countries have their own laws and practices regarding what equipment may be brought into their country and a right to inspect or seize such equipment. It is best practice to limit the equipment and data that are brought to a minimum and to sanitize (wipe) any data devices before leaving and upon returning.

In general, what do I need to know about travel and export controls?

Export controls govern the shipment, transmission, or transfer of certain sensitive items, information or software to foreign persons or entities. The rules may require preauthorization from the U.S. Government in the form of an export license. Noncompliance can subject both the traveler and UVM to serious financial penalties; the traveler may also be at risk of imprisonment. The Office of the UVM Associate Vice President for Research Administration can provide pre-trip assistance by reviewing the specific requirements with the traveler.

May I travel to a location subject to a U.S. Department of State travel warning?

UVM does not prohibit travel to locations subject to a U.S. Department of State travel warning, but recommends that the traveler consult with the traveler’s supervisor and the UVM Department of Risk Management & Safety regarding risk mitigation strategies for the proposed travel.

What restrictions, if any, apply to UVM-related activities in a country that is subject to economic and trade sanctions?

Any proposed activities of this kind must be reviewed and authorized in advance by the UVM Associate Vice President for Research Administration. This includes UVM-related travel to countries subject to sanctions by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, which must be reviewed and approved by the UVM Associate Vice President for Research Administration (Export Controls Officer) before funds are expended and before travel occurs to ensure that all travel-related activities are covered by a general license or that, if mandated, a specific license is obtained before travel starts. Failure to obtain prior approval may result in significant personal liability for the traveler if a review shows export violations. It may also result in disallowance of expense reimbursement.

Tips & Reminders

  • Keep required original, itemized receipts
  • Use Generic Receipt (PDF) if original is not available
  • If expense is on a credit card, keep both the itemized and summary slips
  • For long trips, keep a log or journal
  • Pay for services abroad using W8Ben with Receipt form

Contact the Travel & Expense Team
(802) 656-4192
Disbursement Center
205 Waterman
Burlington, VT 05405