Undergraduate Grading at UVM

Information on grading policies for graduate students can be found here.

:: Grading*

Please note that the most up to date information on the official grading policy can always be found in the University Catalogue.

Grades are reported and recorded as letter grades. Student grade-point averages (GPA) are calculated from quality point equivalents noted here:

Grade Points per    
Credit Hour         


























Administrative Failure due to a missing grade.
Failure resulting from academic dishonesty**.

*As defined by the 2010-2011 Official Catalogue

**This grade is equivalent to the grade of F in the determination of grade-point averages and academic standing (effective Fall, 2005.)

Please Note: The above grades and associated quality point equivalents became effective in the fall of 1991. For an explanation of the grading system employed prior to fall 1991 please see Historical Grading.

In certain instances, grades are assigned that will appear on the transcript, but will not be used in grade-point calculation. These grades are:


Audit (see below)


Incomplete (see below)
P/NP Passed/Not Passed (see below)


Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (see below)
SP/UP Satisfactory Progress/Unsatisfactory Progress (see below)




Administrative No Pass due to a missing grade


Administrative Unsatisfactory Progress

AU: Students wishing to regularly attend a course, but not receive credit, may register as an auditor, with the approval of the dean and the instructor. Auditors have no claim on the time or service of the instructor. Students must meet minimum levels of performance set by the instructor at the time of registration in order to receive an audit grade. Tuition is charged at the applicable rate. Under no circumstances will changes be made after the add/drop period to allow credit for courses audited.

INC: This grade may be assigned when course work is not completed for reasons beyond the student's control. Incompletes require the approval of the student's dean. The incomplete course requirement will be satisfied at the earliest possible date, but not longer than the beginning of the corresponding semester of the next academic year. In cases of laboratory assignments, the student must complete all work the first time that the laboratory experience is offered again. Instructors will fill out an incomplete card and forward it to the student's dean and include the reason for the incomplete as well as the completion date agreed to by the student and instructor. It is the student's responsibility to learn from the dean's office whether the request has been approved, the date of completion, and, from the instructor, the nature of all outstanding requirements.

Incompletes may be approved for the following reasons: medical, personal tragedy or academic. In all instances, students must contact the appropriate dean's office to obtain necessary application information.

P/NP: Degree program students, not on academic trial, are permitted to take up to six courses (or as many courses as they have semesters remaining for future transfer students) on a pass/no pass basis, beginning in their sophomore year. Courses in the student's major department, either for the major or for the degree, and courses satisfying distribution requirements of a department may not be taken on a pass/no pass basis. This option may be used without condition for free electives. It also may be used for physical education (activity) courses, whether taken to fulfill a requirement or as electives, and shall not be counted as a part of the six standard courses described above.

Students must complete all work normally required in these courses to receive full credit toward graduation for passing them. The instructor will not be informed of the student's status and the Registrar will record grades of D- or higher as PASS and grades of F as NO PASS. The grade submitted by the instructor will not become available to the student nor to any third party.

To apply, a PASS/NO PASS Request Form, obtained from the Registrar's Office, must be approved by the student's academic advisor and submitted to the Registrar's Office during the first ten instruction days of the semester. Requests to be removed from that status must be filed during the same period. Any question about a course or courses being appropriately elected as pass/no pass for a student will be resolved by the student's dean.

Note: Non-degree students may not take courses on a pass/no pass basis.

S/U is used in courses where the A-F grade is inappropriate, such as in seminars, internships, practical, etc. Designations of S, satisfactory, and U, unsatisfactory, are used to indicate levels of performance for credits received in Thesis or Dissertation Research and may be used to indicate levels of performance in a Seminar. There are no quality points associated with the letter grades of S and U. The student will receive the appropriate credit hours toward graduation for the S grade, but not for the U grade. Courses using this grading system are so indicated in the catalogue description. For undergraduates, the S/U is available only on a whole course basis and is available for courses that count towards degree requirements.

SP/UP*: These grades are used in courses with a linkage in credits to multiple semesters. Neither SP nor UP will be included in the student's GPA. The grade of SP will be assigned when a student has made satisfactory progress during a semester prior to the final semester of the linked courses; credit will be awarded with the grade of SP. The grade of UP will be assigned when the student's progress has been unsatisfactory and no credit will be awarded. Both SP and UP are final grades and can remain on the transcript. If desired, they may be changed according to the following: SP may be changed to a letter grade once the final grade for the multiple semester work is completed; a grade of SP cannot be changed to a UP or F based on not completing the final semester's work unsatisfactorily. UP may be changed to an F.

*Clarifying language added May 25, 2012

:: How Grades Are Processed

Beginning in the Spring of 2008 grades from all courses (except those offered exclusively to College of Medicine students) began being processed using the online BANNER SIS. For more information about how grades are submitted online, or to read frequently asked questions about the process click here.


:: Appealing a Grade

If students believe they have received an unfair course grade, they may appeal that grade. Details about the University's grade appeal policy are available here.