Students at UVM can specify the name and pronouns they want used on campus.

All students at the University of Vermont can indicate their lived name and pronouns to the University community regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their names.

Update Lived Name and Pronouns

How to Indicate Your Lived Name and/or Pronouns

To set a lived name and/or your pronouns, please visit the Directory Information page and enter your information in the boxes under Lived Name and Pronouns, respectively.  Please note the following options:

  1. You will see a Preview changes section that will allow you to see how your lived name and pronouns will appear in certain systems.
  2. You may choose to select Include my pronouns when displaying my name if possible; pronouns always display in the directory but this choice also allows them to appear in other systems such as MS Teams.
  3. You may choose to select My legal name should be searchable in the directory, even if I live by another name.

PLEASE NOTE: For some applications, the lived name will immediately display. For others, there is a 24-hour waiting period before changes will appear in the system.

Staff with a legal and/or regulatory need (e.g., police, health, and financial services) will see both legal and lived names. Similar to GPAs and other sensitive information, these staff are trained on the implications of this access.

If you find a system is not displaying your lived name or pronouns as you expect, please contact the Tech Team.

Keeping Your Legal Name Private

First, ensure you do not select My legal name should be searchable in the directory even if I live by another name.

Additionally, if you do not wish UVM to share your legal name with external organizations or if you do not wish to see your legal or lived name in the directory, you have the option of requesting FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) directory exclusion, which revokes the University's right to share any of your information with any outside source. This option is available on the Directory Information page.

It is important to know that choosing to request FERPA exclusion means that you will not be listed in the directory and the University cannot confirm your student status for things such as credit card and insurance verifications, etc. without your written and signed release.  Learn more about what is considered FERPA Directory Information! For additional assistance, please contact the Registrar's Office at 802-656-2045.

Changing Your CATcard

After twenty-four hours, your lived name will appear in the system and you can request a new CATcard. When making a name-change on your ID card, it is possible to retain your old card if you so choose. Visit the CATcard Service Center to have a new ID card issued. There is a $10 fee for this service.

If you have questions about this process, please contact the Prism Center at 802-656-8637 or

Changing Your Email Address or NetID

If you chose the Create a new email alias for my account based off of this name option when you completed the Directory Information Page, you will get a new email alias and accompanying name based on your lived name.  The composition will be

If you also wish to change your NetID, or if you are not satisfied with the alias created for you, please contact Identity and Account Management (Tel: 802-656-2006). They can help you customize your entries if necessary. Generating the new alias happens overnight; send yourself an email the next day to see your new email address.

If you chose to change your UVM email to your lived name but wish to communicate via email using your legal name, we recommend that you create a non-UVM email account (e.g., gmail, yahoo).

Places Where Lived Name Is Used

  • Directory Listing (unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)
  • Blackboard
  • MS Teams
  • Student Employment (JobX)
  • CATcard
  • Degree Audit Reporting System (Degree Works)
  • Grade Reports
  • Class Roster
  • Advisee Lists
  • Navigate
  • Unofficial Transcripts
  • Library sign-out process

Places Where Legal Name Is Used

  • Student Accounts
  • Financial Aid
  • Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests
  • Official Transcripts
  • College of Education teacher certification records
  • College of Medicine Medical Student Performance Evaluations (MSPE)
  • Merit Page - Merit is used to share Dean's List information with your hometown newspaper.  If you do not want your legal name published in your local newspaper, you need to opt out of participation in Merit.