Getting a Card

Who needs a UVM Purchasing Card in my unit?

Consider the following:
  • Did you or your staff place many low-dollar value orders (less than $2,500)?
  • Do you make frequent pick-ups at local suppliers?
  • Do your suppliers accept Visa┬« as a means of conducting purchase transactions?
  • Do you purchase airfare?
  • Do you travel more than once a year?
  • Do you hold conferences at off-campus locations?

Individuals who answer "yes" to any of the above questions may be good candidates for a UVM PurCard.

Who can get a Purchasing Card?

Any employee of the University (faculty, staff, or paid graduate student) may be issued a Purchasing Card with supervisory approval. PurCards are not issued to temporary employees.

How do I obtain a UVM Purchasing Card?

Purchasing Cards are obtained by completing a Cardholder Application (PDF), Cardholder Agreement (PDF), and Supervisor Form (PDF). The application needs to be signed by the appropriate Dean, Director, or Chair and forwarded to the Disbursement Center. Cards will be issued only after approved by the Controller's Office and the cardholder has taken the required web-based training.

How long will it take to get a new card?

It generally takes two weeks from the time a card is ordered to the time the Disbursement Center receives it. The application and forms are sent to the Controller's Office for approval. Cards are ordered after the completion of the online training and knowledge assessment. The Disbursement Center will contact the cardholder when the card is received.

When I apply for a Purchasing Card, will my personal credit history be checked?

No. Since all Purchasing Card transactions are paid by the University, they are not connected to an employee's personal credit history.

Using a Card

Where can I use a UVM Purchasing Card?

The UVM Purchasing Card will generally be accepted by any merchant who accepts Visa® within the authorized Merchant Category Codes (MCC Codes).

What are the restrictions on Purchasing Card Use?

The UVM Purchasing Card may be used for transactions up to $2,500.00 with merchants included in the Merchant Category Codes (MCC Codes) selected by the Disbursement Center. Monthly cycle charges normally cannot exceed $10,000. The cycle and/or transaction limits can be lower if requested. The following materials must be ordered through Purchasing Services, with all required approvals, via purchase requisition:
  • Animal orders
  • Capital equipment - $5,000.00 and greater
  • Hazardous materials - contact Environmental Safety
  • Radioactive orders - contact Radiation Safety
  • Items costing greater than $2,500.00

The above listed materials and services may only be ordered through UVM's Purchasing Services, and paid for by the Disbursement Center.

Your Purchasing Card cannot be used for any of the following:

  • Alcohol
  • Cash advances
  • Cell phones
  • Childcare services
  • Controlled substances
  • Fines, late fees, penalties
  • Firearms or ammunition
  • Gifts
  • Hazardous materials and chemicals
  • Parking tickets or travel citations
  • Personal purchases
  • Tuition reimbursement

Can I obtain a cash advance with my PurCard?

No. The Merchant Category Codes (MCC Codes) associated with cash advances have been turned off on your Purchasing Card.

Can I buy personal items and reimburse the budget?

No. The Purchasing Card is for University business purposes only. Making personal purchases via any University purchasing mechanism can jeopardize UVM's tax-exempt status with the State of Vermont.

What is my transaction limit? What is my cycle limit?

The transaction limit is $2,500.00.  The monthly cycle limit is $10,000.00.

When does the cycle begin and end?

The cycle begins on the 26th of the month and ends on the 25th of the following month. If the 25th falls on a weekend or holiday, the cycle will begin the next business day.

What information do I need to submit for airfare purchases?

Please indicate the following:
  • Name of the traveler
  • Destination
  • Business purpose of the trip
  • Dates of travel


I've made the purchase, but . . .

A supplier called, and my PurCard was declined. What do I do?

Notify US Bank at 1-800-344-5696 that you received a decline. US Bank will require the following information:
  • Cardholder name
  • Credit card number
  • Date of attempted transaction
  • Name of the vendor
  • Dollar amount

They will assist the cardholder with any issues.

I lost my receipt. What should I do?

Contact the supplier and request a duplicate.

When will my budget really be charged for these purchases?

The purchasing card cycle ends on the 25th of the month (if the 25th falls on a weekend or holiday, it will end on the next business day). PurCard Journal reports are due to the Disbursement Center 20 days after the monthly cycle ends.

Journal entry transactions for the cycle ending the 25th of the month will be dated the 2nd of the following month. The transaction will be processed against your chartstring when you have completed your reallocation and submitted the journal for posting.

For example:

Transaction Date Cycle Date PeopleSoft Journal Date
2/10/20xx 2/25/20xx 3/02/20xx
2/26/1620xx 3/25/20xx 4/02/20xx

In certain circumstances, it can take up to two months for the transactions to be processed and expensed in PeopleSoft.

When do I need to reallocate a transaction?

Reallocation must be completed by the designated date of the month in which the PurCard journal was created, before the PurCard journal report is submitted to the Disbursement Center. The reallocation process is currently available in PeopleSoft via journal entry.

I was charged sales tax. What am I supposed to do?

Contact the supplier and request that the tax amount be credited back to your Purchasing Card.

I missed the reallocation period. How do I get these expenses on my budget report to the correct chartstring and account?

If the transactions have already been charged to your budget and are no longer available to reallocate, a new journal entry will need to be created to transfer the expense to the new chartstring or account. The Journal Entry User Guide (PDF) provides instructions on how this can be accomplished.

Other Questions

Who is the Program Administrator?

The Purchasing Card Program is administered by the PurCard Team in the Disbursement Center.

My card is lost or stolen. What do I do first?

If your card is lost or stolen, call US Bank at 1-800-344-5696, as well as emailing the PurCard Team.

I'm leaving UVM. What do I do with my card?

Contact the Disbursement Center with an explanation and date of separation. Cards may not be left for other department members to use and must be shredded.

I'm transferring to a new department within UVM. What do I do with my card? Can I bring it to my new department?

Contact the Disbursement Center with explanation and date of the change. You will need to apply for a new card in your new department. The Disbursement Center must obtain the authorized signatures of the cardholder, new supervisor, Dean, Director or Chair.

Contact the PurCard Team

  • Holly LeBlanc, Team Lead, 656-1300
  • Joanne Cheng, PurCard Specialist, 656-1198
  • Becky Maglaris, PurCard Specialist, 656-1214
  • Ann Naylor, PurCard Specialist, 656-1215
Phone: 802-656-4192

Disbursement Center
23 Mansfield Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401

See Campus Map