The University of Vermont is closely monitoring circumstances related to the coronavirus.

For travel-related questions see our FAQs (PDF).

Travel Authorizations

A Travel Authorization is the PeopleSoft transaction that encumbers the budget in anticipation of a planned trip. Submit Travel Authorizations at least 2 weeks prior to the travel departure date.

Approved travel authorizations are required for:

  • All domestic overnight out-of-state and all international travel
  • Travel outside of the United States
  • Travel Cash Advances.

Some departments may require a Travel Authorization for some or all travel; check with your business manager for department-specific processing.

Each Travel Authorization is assigned a unique number. The encumbrance stays on the budget until either an Expense Report is created from the Travel Authorization [and the Cash Advance is applied against the travel expenses] or the Travel Authorization is canceled. The creator of a Travel Authorization may cancel it prior to approval, but the Disbursement Center Travel Team must cancel it after it has been approved.

Travel Cash Advances

A Travel Cash Advance is money given to an eligible traveler in advance of a business-related trip to pay for anticipated expenses. 

  • Advances are used for expenses incurred during the trip only. Use a UVM PurCard for expenses incurred prior to traveling (airfare, conference registrations, hotel, etc.).
  • Plan to request a Cash Advance at least 2 weeks prior to the departure date. 
  • Travel Cash Advances are available no more than five business days before the trip.
  • Travel Cash Advances can be in the form of:
    • Direct deposit - issued on Tuesdays and Fridays
    • Cash to be picked up in the Treasury Services Office; traveler must present valid UVM ID, or
    • Check issued Tuesdays and Fridays; allow for sufficient time for mailing. Checks are issued only under special circumstances.

Travel Cash Advances must be reconciled within 30 days of the completion of the trip. If a Travel Cash Advance becomes delinquent, the employee will not be allowed to take out additional advances until all their delinquent advances are fully collected and/or accounted for and reconciled.

Upon acceptance of the Travel Cash Advance, the traveler will be responsible for the University’s funds and is required to abide by all University travel policies and procedures. The traveler is personally responsible for the Travel Cash Advance until either the balance is returned to the University or the funds are fully accounted for via an Expense Report. The use of these funds must comply with the Travel Policy. If appropriate documentation is not supplied to the University upon completion of the trip, the traveler will be responsible for reimbursing the University. Travelers are responsible for the Travel Cash Advance and subsequent Expense Report even if a delegate has entered the form on behalf of the traveler.