The Division of Finance makes a range of financial reports available to meet the various needs of business and financial managers, department and unit leaders, and external stakeholders.
Budget-to-actual reports are available in both the Axiom and PeopleSoft systems. The Axiom reports offer drilldown capability and formats more friendly for a non-financial audience, but do not include sponsored research funds (fund 300). The PeopleSoft reports are recommended for those who want to download the source data and manipulate it themselves in Excel.
All reports below contain net position and chartstring detail.
|Report||Level of Detail||Historical Data||Income Statement|
|Axiom All-Funds||Summarized by fund net position; no transaction data||3 previous FYs included||No|
|Axiom Summary by Fund (100,130,131,150,305,900)||Summarized by revenue and expense; no transaction data||3 previous FYs included||No|
|Axiom Summary by Fund (108)||Summarized by revenue and expense; no transaction data||3 previous FYs included||No|
|Axiom Detail by Fund||Summarized by E-level with drillable GL, PO, and payroll transaction data||3 previous FYs included||Yes|
|PeopleSoft Operating Budget||Summarized by E-level with GL, PO, and payroll transaction data as separate output files||Run report separately for prior FYs||Yes|
Both reports display project-to-date information with chartstring detail.
|Report||Sponsored Projects||Net Position||Transaction Data (GL, PO, Payroll)|
|Axiom Non-Sponsored Projects||No||Revenue-less-expense calculation||For all fiscal years; drillable|
|PeopleSoft Monthly Budget Rpt-Projects||Yes||Yes||For one fiscal year at a time; separate output files|
Gifts & Endowments (funds 310, 311, 320, 321, 370, and 371)
Both reports contain net position.
|Report||Level of Detail||Historical Data||Chartstring Detail||Transaction Detail (GL, PO, Payroll)|
|Axiom Summary by Fund (3xx)||Summarized by Fund, Reporting Unit, Department, and/or Source||2 previous FYs included||Yes, drillable||No|
|PeopleSoft Endowment & Gift||Summarized by Fund, Operating Unit, Department, and/or Source||Run report separately for prior FYs||Yes||Yes, separate output files|
PeopleSoft Financials has a variety of reports, queries, and inquiries for deeper investigation of transactions or activity.
|Purpose||Report/Inquiry/Query||Type of Tool||Notes|
|Find transactions that are outstanding, have budget-checking errors, or require action||PeopleSoft Closeout||Diagnostic Report||Provides a picture of current activity and any issues with a specific project or chartstring.|
|Quickly see a chartstring balance and drill into the details||PeopleSoft Budget Overview||Inquiry page||Same data as the Budget Status report, but shown online, without having to run a report. Shows budget, pre-encumbrances, encumbrances, revenue or expenses, and remaining balance for valid transactions.|
|See budget-to-actual status for a chartstring, part of a chartstring, or a project - in report format||PeopleSoft Budget Status||Report||Shows budget, pre-encumbrances, encumbrances, revenue or expenses, and remaining balance for valid transactions.|
|See what has posted to the General Ledger and drill to detail||PeopleSoft Ledger Inquiry||Inquiry page||Shows what has been posted to the General Ledger by accounting period and fiscal year and drill to detail. The ledger period comparison allows you to compare activity across periods.|
|See journals that have posted to a specific chartstring during a specific time period||PeopleSoft Ledger Activity||Report||Shows the journal and journal line activity for journals that have posted to the selected chartstring during the selected accounting periods. Also lists the beginning and ending ledger balances by chartfield combination and account.|
|Retrieve specific data from PeopleSoft||PeopleSoft Queries||Query||Many queries are available to end-users in PeopleSoft to retrieve data for a specific purpose. See the list of Available Reports & Queries (PDF).|
Audited Financial Statements
The annual financial statements of the University of Vermont and State Agricultural College are official documents prepared in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles set forth for public colleges and universities by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
Understanding the Source Data
Budgets: PeopleSoft Commitment Control
Commitment Control (KK) enables UVM to track or control commitments, obligations, or expenditures for revenue and expense accounts. The commitment control (KK) ledgers are used for internal management reporting and allow for budget-to-actuals comparisons.
All revenue and expense transactions are budget-checked. Different funds have different budgetary controls defined in Commitment Control: track, track with budget, and control. The budget errors or warnings that the system generates depend on the control in place on the fund that a given transaction is using. See the Commitment Control User Guide (PDF) for more information on budget controls and errors.
PeopleSoft system's budget-checking equation:
- Actual expense
= Available Funds
Posting to KK Ledgers
Transactions post to the Commitment Control ledgers as soon as a valid budget check is achieved. There are many groups of ledgers in Commitment Control to support the various budget control rules UVM needs to govern spending.
Since all revenue and expense transactions (except for payroll journals) are budget-checked before they are posted, transactions and their effect will be seen in the commitment control ledgers before they are posted to the general ledger. This means that there can be differences between the data in the commitment control ledgers and the general ledger due to timing.
Actuals: PeopleSoft General Ledger
The PeopleSoft General Ledger (GL, also known as the ACTUALS ledger/table) is where all non-budgetary financial transactions are posted after approval. Accounting entries are posted to the GL via journal entries that are created either (1) directly by end-users, (2) various PeopleSoft sub-modules (such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Travel & Expense, Grants, and Project Costing), or (3) interfaces between PeopleSoft and other UVM systems.
- The GL contains activity for revenues, expenses, assets, liabilities, and net position (net asset). The GL does not contain any budget, pre-encumbrance, or encumbrance data.
- All financial transactions are recorded in the General Ledger based on the fiscal year and accounting periods.
- Since most transactions are budget-checked before they are posted to the GL, there can be a difference between what you see in Commitment Control (KK) vs. the GL due to timing. The one exception to this is payroll journals, which are posted to the GL independent of budget checking.
- Axiom is updated with budget and actuals data from PeopleSoft every night. Therefore, a transaction posted in PeopleSoft today will not appear in Axiom until the following morning.
- Revenue and net position surpluses are displayed as positive in Axiom (unlike PeopleSoft); net position deficits are displayed as negative.
- Axiom reports are run by "Reporting Unit" (the set of departments that roll up or report to a Dean or Vice President/Provost), not by the Operating Unit chartfield.
Axiom Reporting Resources
- Axiom Reports Training Presentation (PDF)
- Axiom Reports Video Tutorial - Introduction (MP4, 3.28 minutes)
- Introduction to Axiom Reporting Functionality Video Tutorial (MP4, 13:30 minutes)
- Axiom All-Funds Report Video Tutorial (MP4, 3:11 minutes)
- Axiom Summary by Fund Reports Video Tutorial (MP4, 9:00 minutes)
- Axiom Detail by Fund Report Video Tutorial (MP4, 11:55 minutes)
- Axiom Non-Sponsored Project Report Video Tutorial (MP4, 10:17 minutes)
PeopleSoft Reporting Resources
- Financial Data in PeopleSoft presentation-Part 1: Where Data Resides (PDF)
- Financial Data in PeopleSoft presentation-Part 2: Reports & Queries (PDF)
- Basic PeopleSoft Financial Reports User Guide (PDF)
- Gift & Endowment Report User Guide (PDF)
- Commitment Control Reports User Guide (PDF)
- General Ledger Reports User Guide (PDF)
- Available Reports and Queries (PDF)