UVM Upward Bound is hiring for 6 summer internship positions!
The University of Vermont TRIO Upward Bound (UB) is a federally-funded college access program for limited-income high school students who would be the first generation in their families to attend college. Our goal is to support students throughout their time in high school, preparing them to apply to college and be successful once they arrive there. From June 27th – August 5th, 2022 we will run a six-week, non-residential summer program (UB Summer College) on the UVM campus for up to 50 local high school students. Summer staff are also expected to attend Staff Orientation/Training from June 20th – 24th.
The Summer Tutor-Counselors will serve very closely with all Upward Bound participants (who are all low-income, first-generation) throughout the duration of the six-week summer program. They will partner with course instructors to assist them in delivering course content as well as to tutor students in specific academic subjects to help them improve academic skills. They will use their experiences in college to reflect on challenges they faced during the transition from secondary to postsecondary education and initiate deliberate conversations around college aspirations and career pathways. The stipend for completion is $2,500.
All Tutor-Counselors are expected to serve as positive role models for students throughout the summer and to be with them during all program hours. Tutor-Counselors will also plan and facilitate afternoon activities, lead college and career exploration workshops, and oversee students during other events like community service projects. When traveling to other colleges or out of state, Tutor-Counselors will also support the Program Director & Assistant Director in monitoring students during overnight stays.
All summer staff members are also expected to attend a full week of staff training/orientation June 20th – June 24th.
In particular Upward Bound is seeking applicants who:
· Have experience working in multicultural work environments
· Have experience tutoring, teaching, and/or leading activities with youth and young adults
· Understand and can articulate of the experiences of limited-income, first-generation students, BIPOC students, English Language Learners, and/or other marginalized students
This is an amazing opportunity to be part of a creative and impactful program to support high school students in their aspirations to attend college. Other Tutor-Counselor duties include:
• Partnering with course instructors to assist them in delivering course content
• Serving as an academic liaison between instructors, students, and UB staff
• Using your experiences in college to reflect on challenges students may face during the transition
• Initiating deliberate conversations around college aspirations and career pathways
To apply, please submit the following to Program Director, Adam Hurwitz (firstname.lastname@example.org):
(1) cover letter
(3) 2 references
(4) copy of unofficial undergraduate transcript
Deadline is March 25th - interviews will be scheduled promptly thereafter.
Upward Bound provides free 1-on-1 tutoring to participants, and pays tutors hourly based on experience. Common tutoring subjects include: Math (Geometry, Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Calculus), Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Foreign Language, and English.
Tutors must be able to meet students at Burlington or Winooski High School for sessions. If interested, please contact Program Director - Adam Hurwitz at: email@example.com.