What is the First Scholars Pre-Orientation Program?
First Scholars Pre-Orientation Program is a free opportunity for first-generation college students to form meaningful connections with one another, faculty, and staff as well as learn about academic and social resources at UVM through a first-gen lens.
The First Scholars Pre-Orientation Program, will help students:
- Become familiar with resources necessary to successfully navigate the social and academic aspects of transitioning to college.
- Begin to build a network and community of first-generation students, faculty, and staff that will provide support for academic success.
- Participate in activities, workshops, and educational and social events to prepare for the Fall Semester.
What will happen during the First Scholars Pre-Orientation Program?
- Move into your first-year residence hall before other new students (on Sunday, August 20th).
- Be welcomed by student leaders, staff and faculty who are also first-generation.
- Spend three days meeting one another and getting familiar with campus.
- Talk about the transition to college, and provide you with information and advice about how to navigate Orientation and the first few weeks of school.
- Introduce you to UVM academics, from what to expect in class, to working with your advisor, and how to find support when you need it.
- Share strategies for success – studying, eating, finding a job, entertainment, laundry, staying well, working out, finding community, and more.
- Explore campus and Burlington resources.
Then, on Thursday, August 24th you will join the rest of the first-year class in UVM’s formal orientation program.
The First Scholars Pre-Orientation Program is open to students who are:
- full-time first year students, and
- first-generation (a student for whom no parent or guardian has completed a bachelor's degree from a U.S. college or university), and
- starting classes in the Fall of 2023.
What If I can't participate in the First Scholars Pre-Orientation Program?
The First Scholars Pre-Orientation Program is not the only opportunity to connect with FirstGen@UVM! There is FirstGen@UVM programming throughout the academic year to help support first-gen students through their journey at UVM. Reach out to FirstGen@uvm.edu and we will help you get involved!