Ranaivo Rasolofoson is interested in the impacts of nature conservation on environmental and social outcomes. He uses diverse approaches such as rigorous causal inference methods and participatory research. Using these different methods, he has looked at the impacts of community forest management and strictly protected areas on deforestation and human well-being in Madagascar.
Gund Postdoctoral Associate, Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
- Rasolofoson, R.A., P. Ferraro, G. Ruta, M. Rasamoelina, P. Randriankolona, H. Larsen and J.P.G. Jones 2016. Impacts of Community Forest Management on human economic well-being across Madagascar. Conservation Letters. doi: 10.1111/conl.12272.
- Rasolofoson, R.A 2016. Impacts of community forest management and strictly protected areas on deforestation and human well-being in Madagascar. PhD thesis. University of Copenhagen and Bangor University.
- Rasolofoson, R.A, P. Ferraro, C. Jenkins and J.P.G Jones 2015. Effectiveness of Community Forest Management at reducing deforestation in Madagascar. Biological Conservation 184: 271 – 277.
- Rasamoelina, M.S., G. Ruta, R.A. Rasolofoson, P.L. Randriankolona, S. Aubert, B.S. Ramamonjisoa, Z. Rabemananjara, A.S. Raharijaona, G. Buttoud, J. Plananska 2015. Analysis of community forest management (CFM) in Madagascar. World Bank Group, Washington, D.C.
- Rasolofoson, R.A., M. Nielsen and J.P.G. Jones (Submitted). The potential of the Global Person Generated Index for evaluating the perceived impacts of conservation interventions on subjective well-being. World Development.
- Rasolofoson, R.A 2011. Effectiveness of protected areas at protecting silky sifaka lemur. University of Maryland, College Park.
Awards and Recognition
- Forest and Nature for Society, Erasmus Mundus joint doctorate program, European Commission, November 2012-March 2016
- Fulbright, USA Department of State, August 2009–May 2011
- Fellowship from the University of Maryland, August 2009–May 2011
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Estimating the impacts of environmental change and conservation interventions on human health worldwide
- PhD, Environmental and Resource Economics, University of Copenhagen
- PhD, Forestry, Bangor University
- MS, Sustainable Development and Conservation Biology, University of Maryland
- BS, Wildlife Biology, University of Antananarivo, Madagascar