Julia Perdrial's formal training is in geology and mineralogy. For her master's at the University of Heidelberg (Germany, 2004), she investigated how water and minerals change each other. Later, for her PhD at the University Louis Pasteur in Strasbourg (France, 2008), she added life in the form of bacteria to the mix. Her post-doctoral research at the University of Arizona led her to investigate all this at the catchment scale through the lens of carbon dynamics. Since joining the University of Vermont as assistant professor in 2013, she continues to investigate how these dynamics are impacted by environmental change at local and regional scales.
Gund Fellow, Assistant Professor, UVM Department of Geology
- Wymore, A.S., West, N.R., Maher, K., Sullivan, P.L., Harpold, A.A., Karwan, D., Marshall, J.A., Perdrial, J.N., Rempe, D.M., Ma, L. (2017). Growing New Generations of International Critical Zone Scientists. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms (commentary).
- McIntosh, J., Schaumberg, C., Perdrial, J.N., Harpold, A.A., Vazquez-Ortega, A., Rasmussen, C., Vinson, D., Zapata-Rios, X., Brooks, P.D., Meixner, T., Pelletier, J., Derry, L., Chorover, J. (2017). Geochemical evolution of the Critical Zone across variable time scales informs concentration-discharge relationships: Jemez River Basin Critical Zone Observatory. Water Resources Research.
- Clark, K.E., Shanley, J.B., Scholl, M.A., Perdrial, N., Perdrial, J.N., Plante, A.F., McDowell, W.H. (2017). Tropical River suspended sediment and solute dynamics in storms during an extreme drought. Water Resources Research.
- Miller, M. Boyer, E., McKnight, D., Brown, M., Iavorivska, L., Hunsaker, C. Inamdar, S. McDowell, W., Kaplan, L., Gabor, R., Lin, H., Johnson, D., Perdrial, J.N. (2016). Regional Variation in Organic Matter Quantity and Quality among Five Critical Zone Observatories. Water Resources Research.
- Li, L., Maher, K., Navarre-Sitchler, A., Druhan, J., Meile, C., Lawrence, C., Moore, J., Perdrial, J.N., Sullivan, P., Thompson, A., Jin, L., Bolton, E.W., Brantley, S., Dietrich, W., Mayer, K.U., Steefel, C.I., Valocchi, A., Zachara, J., Kocar, B., McIntosh, J., Bao, Ch., Tutolo, B.M., Beisman, J., Kumar, M., Sonnenthal, E. (2016). Expanding the Role of Reactive Transport Models in Earth Surface Processes. Earth Science Reviews. In press.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Environmental geochemistry, low temperature (bio)-geochemical processes, carbon dynamics, dissolved organic matter chemistry, hydrology and biochemistry, mineral alteration and weathering, clay mineralogy
- PhD, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Université Louise-Pasteur
- MS, Mineralogy, Geology and Geochemistry, University of Heidelberg
- BS, University of Heidelberg
Hall, Room 213C, UVM