Cecilia's research focuses on the intersection of community well-being and forest stewardship. Her work has addressed issues in community-based forestry, community-based forest enterprises, communities and carbon markets, forest certification, community-level socioeconomic monitoring, institutions for collaborative management, and the working forest. Cecilia is interested in institutional arrangements for community-based resource management, especially as they affect equity and sustainability in: climate change policies, community-based forestry, and forest carbon.
Gund Fellow, Associate Professor, Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
- Crow, S. and C. Danks. Forthcoming. Why certify?: Understanding the motivations for forest certification among community-based forestry initiatives. Small Scale Forestry, 26 pp.
- McDermott, M, A. Moote and C. Danks. In press, 2010. Effective collaboration: overcoming external obstacles. In Dukes, F., K. Firehock, and J. Birkhoff (eds) Community-Based Collaboration: Making Sense of a Socio-Ecological Movement. University of Virginia Press.
- Danks, C. 2009. Benefits of community-based forestry in the US: lessons from a demonstration program. International Forestry Review. 11(2):26-40.
- Danks, C. 2008. Institutional arrangements in community-based forestry. In E.Donoghue and V. Sturtevant (eds) Community and Forest Connections: Implications for Research, Management and Governance. Washington DC: Resources for the Future. pp. 185-204. .
- Kutner, L. and C. Danks. 2007. Collaborative Transformation of an Environmental Studies Core Curriculum, in T. Jacobson and T Mackey (eds.). Information Literacy Collaborations that Work. New York: Neal-Schuman. .
- McDermott, M., A. Moote and C. Danks. 2006. How Community-based collaboratives overcome external institutional barriers to achieving their environmental goals. CBCRC Journal (Winter 2006). Online at http://www.cbcrc.org/php-bin/news/showArticle.php?id=76. 83 pp.
- Danks, Cecilia, Martin Goebel, and Karen Steer. 2004. Recreating natural resource-based businesses: sustaining the land and communities in the US New Northwest. In Sissel Waage (ed.) Ants, Galileo and Gandhi: Designing the Future of Business through Nature, Genius and Compassion. Greenleaf Publishing, Ltd.
- Danks, Cecilia and Louise Fortmann. 2004. Social forestry: Forest and Tree Tenure and Ownership. In Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences, Oxford: Elsevier Ltd. 6 pp.
- Danks, Cecilia. 2003. Community-based stewardship: Reinvesting in public forests and forest communities. In James K. Boyce and Barry Shelley (eds). Natural Assets: Democratizing Environmental Ownership. Covelo, CA: Island Press.
- Danks, Cecilia. 2002. The role of local communities in Adaptive Management. IUCN Sustainable Use Initiative, Technical Report Series, Vol. 3.
- Danks, Cecilia and Richard Hayes. 2001. Socioeconomic research. In Richard Haynes and Gloria Perez, (eds.), Northwest Forest Plan Research Synthesis. PNW-GTR-498. USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, OR., pp. 52-62.
- Danks, Cecilia. 2001. “Community-Based Wildfire Management: An Opportunity to Integrate Social and Ecological Objectives on Federal Land.” In Krisnawati Suryanata, Glenn Dolcemascolo, Robert Fisher and Jefferson Fox (eds), Enabling Policy Frameworks for Successful Community-Based Resource Management. Proceedings from the Ninth Workshop in Community-Based Management of Forestlands, February 5 - March 3, 2001, Honolulu, Hawaii. Co-sponsored by East-West Center, Honolulu, HI and Regional Community Forestry Training Center, Bangkok, Thailand. pp. 45-55.
- Danks, Cecilia. 2000. Community forestry initiatives for creation of sustainable rural livelihoods: a case from North America. Unasylva 51(202): 53-63.
- Kusel, Jonathan, Lee Williams, Cecilia Danks, Jan Perttu, Leah Wills, Diana Keith and Lead Partnership Groups. 2000. A Report on All-Party Monitoring and Lessons Learned from the Pilot Projects. Forest Community Research, Pacific West National Community Forestry Center, Technical Report 101-2000.
- Danks, Cecilia and Lynn Jungwirth. 1998. “Community-Based Socioeconomic Assessment and Monitoring,” Journal of Environmental Science and Management 1(2):1-18.
- Danks, Cecilia. 1997. “Developing Institutions for Community Forestry in Northern California,” Rural Development Forestry Network 20a (Winter 1996/97): 4-23.
- Peluso, Nancy and Christine Padoch with Cecilia Danks (eds). 1996. Borneo in Transition: People, Forests, Conservation and Development. Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Institutional arrangements for community-based resource management, forest stewardship
- PhD, Wildland Resource Science, UC Berkeley
- MS, Wildand Resource Science, UC Berkeley
- BS, Biology, Environmental Studies, Williams College
The Bittersweet, 153 South Prospect Street