University of Vermont

Office of the Registrar

CATS Reports

CATS Reports

:: What is a CATS Report?

CATS (Curriculum Audit Tracking System) is UVM's degree audit system that produces automated, individualized reports to help students track their progress toward completing their degrees.

The CATS report, used by students and advisors, identifies both completed and outstanding requirements and provides a current list of courses that can be taken to satisfy them.

:: How to Run a CATS Report

Faculty Members click here.
Students click here.

:: How to Run a What If CATS Report

Faculty Members click here.
Students click here.

:: Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to view its individual answer, or choose Show All Descriptions to view the answers to all the frequently asked questions about CATS.

Hide All Descriptions | Show All Descriptions

Why did I receive the message "Degree Program not available"?

CATS reports are currently available for UNDERGRADUATE students in the School of Business Administration, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Education & Social Services, the College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences, the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, and for Professional Nursing and RN-BS students in the College of Nursing & Health Sciences.. If you are a student in a program not named here,  you will be notified by your Dean's Office when your degree audit becomes available for viewing.

With the exception of the MBA degree, CATS reports are not available for Graduate students, for Continuing Education Non-Degree students, or for students who entered UVM before the fall of 1999. If you entered UVM before the fall of 1999, talk to Student Services in your Dean's Office about possibly updating your catalogue year.

What should I do if my CATS report lists the wrong major or program?

Contact Student Services in your Dean's Office to verify your currently declared major or degree. If inaccurate information is on file, you may need to submit a change of major/minor form in order to update your CATS report.

I am thinking about switching to a different major. Can I get a CATS report for another major without changing my enrollment information?

Yes, you can run a "What If" audit to see how your courses would apply if you decided to change your major, minor, or degree program. The "What If" report will display the requirements, based on the current catalogue, for the program of study that you choose.

When I run my report, I get two audits. Why?

Students enrolled in two separate degree programs will receive two separate CATS reports, one for each program.

I took a course which was supposed to fulfill a requirement but my CATS report indicates that the requirement is unsatisfied. What should I do?

If you are in the School of Business Administration, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences or the Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources and there are discrepancies in your audit, you should discuss them first with your advisor. Only your advisor can approve and submit exceptions for your degree audit, which will be processed through your Dean's Office.

If you are in the College of Arts and Sciences,  you should discuss any discrepancies in your CATS report  with the CATS advisor in the A&S Dean's Office, Mark Hall.

If you are in the College of Education & Social Services, you should complete a Request Form (located online at CESS Student Services or at 528 Waterman) in order to petition that a course be used to satisfy a requirement.  Be sure to provide a strong academic rationale for your request.

What is an exception?

An exception reflects any change -- such as a requirement waiver or a course substitution -- applied to your academic program with the approval of  your advisor. Exceptions allow the CATS audit to reflect individualized adjustments to your specific degree requirements.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

You can find out who your advisor is by checking online through your SIS access, by contacting your Dean's Office, or by contacting the Registrar's Office.

I took some courses at another school. Why don't they appear on my CATS report?

If transfer courses are not showing up on your CATS report, you should verify that the Office of Transfer Affairs has received your official transcript from the original institution. The email address for Transfer Affairs is

My transfer courses appear on my CATS report, but they are not applying to the appropriate requirement. What should I do?

If you are in The School of Business Administration, The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The College of Engineering and Mathematics, or the Rubenstein School, you should speak with your advisor about applying transfer courses to UVM requirements. In most cases, an exception will need to be made.

If you are in The College of Arts and Sciences, you should contact Mark Hall in the Dean's office to discuss using transfer courses to satisfy degree requirements.

If you are in The College of Education and Social Services, you should complete a request form (located online or at the CESS Student Services Office in 528 Waterman) in order to petition that a transfer course be used to satisfy a requirement.

I completed a course at UVM and received a grade for it, but my CATS Report is showing zero credits for the course.  Why did I lose credit?

The CATS Report automatically removes credit when two courses with duplicated content are taken. For example, according to the University Catalogue, credit is not allowed for both BIOL 001 and BCOR 011.  The CATS Report will display zero credits for whichever of these two courses you take last.  Another common example of duplicated content occurs with MATH 019 and MATH 021.  Unless you also take MATH 022, you cannot have credit for both 019 and 021. 

If you run your CATS Report immediately after you have registered for courses, you will be able to recognize any courses with duplicate content, identified by zero credits showing next to the IP, and can change your course selections to avoid losing credit.

I had to take a course twice in order to improve my grade.  How does CATS handle that?

The CATS Report removes credit for duplicated courses (although both grades in duplicated courses are used to calculate your GPA, credit is only allowed once) and identifies the course with zero credits by displaying  ">D" after the grade on the CATS Report. "RP" will appear next to the version of the course that maintains its credit.  CATS is designed to give credit to the course with the higher grade, but while your second attempt at a course is in progress (or "IP") it will display with zero credits.

Courses that are allowed to be repeated--for instance special topics courses with different titles--are identified with ">R" after the grade, and no credit is removed.

Why is the number of total credits hours on my CATS Report different from the number on my transcript?

In rare cases, the total number of credits may sometimes be different because CATS only counts credits for courses that can be used in your degree program, while your UVM transcript lists credits for all courses taken at UVM, even those that do not apply to your degree.

:: Contacts

College of Arts and Sciences:
Mark G. Hall, 438 College St., Room 304, 656-3344,

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences:
Rose Laba, 106 Morrill Hall, 656-0289,

College of Education and Social Services:
CESS Student Services Office, 528 Waterman, 656-3468,

College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences:
Marnie Owen, 103 Votey, 656-8857,

College of Nursing and Health Sciences:
CNHS Student Services Office, 002 Rowell, 656-3858,

Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources:
Marcia Caldwell, 330 Aiken, 656-3010,

School of Business Administration:
BSAD Student Services Office, 101 Kalkin Hall, 656-4015,

Last modified July 11 2015 01:59 PM

Contact UVM © 2015 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131