Current UVM Students:

Bailey-Howe library

I want to switch my major to NFS.  What's the process?

You will need to fill out a Change of Major Request Form found on the Registrar's page here. It's that simple. Once you're transfer form has been received an NFS faculty advisor will be assigned to you.

Before transfering it is a good idea to meet with Dr. Todd Pritchard, our faculty advisor for students looking to transfer into our department. He is available for advising to help you with course selections and academic planning . Send him an email to set up an appointment to meet and discuss the transfer process. Including a copy of your transcript in your email will help Dr. Todd to prepare for your meeting.

I want to declare my concentration in NFS. How do I do that?

First, you should have a discussion with your faculty advisor to decide which concentration (Dietetics; Food Sciences; Nutrition, Sustainability and Society) will best fit your career goals.  Students generally declare their concentration at the end of their sophomore year or during their junior year. To declare your concentration the form is found on the Registrar's page here.

How do I declare a minor in NFS?

You need to fill out the Declaration of Minor Form found on the Registrar's page here.  Information regarding course requirements for the minor in NFS is found on our NFS Minor webpage.

Dr. Todd Pritchard is our faculty advisor for NFS minors.

What counts as a humanities course?

Classes about art, classics, history, literature, music, philosophy, religion, language, and theater, just to give some examples. Many university courses count; generally courses in psychology and social work, which are considered social sciences. Not sure if it's a humanities course? Contact your faculty advisor to be sure you're on track.

Prospective Undergraduate Students:

students on campus

How do I apply:

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions handles all applications. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for details.

Can I do research as an undergrad?

Yes!  NFS students can work in labs or do field research with a faculty member for academic credit, or in some cases, as employees.  Your faculty advisor can assist you with getting this set up.

Can I get practical career experience?

Yes, through Experiential Learning (Community Practicums and Internships) our students gain real-world experience (and connections in the field) at places such as the Vermont Department of Health, the Vermont Campaign to End Childhood Hunger, University of Vermont Medical Center, and Ben & Jerry's to name a few.

Beth Bradley, PhD,  is our Internship/Research Coordinator for the Food Science, and Nutrition, Sustainability and Society concentration tracks.

Kelsey Rose, MPH, RD, is our Practicum Coordinator for the Dietetics concentration track.

Will I be able to do sports and NFS classes at UVM?

Absolutely. While the in-season life of a Division I athlete never is leisurely, whatever your academic focus, NFS is a fine major (or minor) for any athlete. The NFS faculty is happy to work with student-athletes to accommodate sports schedules.

I plan to work full-time while I go to school. Is it possible to take just one or two classes each semester?

Yes. Part-time education is handled through UVM's Continuing and Distance Education Department, not directly with the department. Check out their website for more details.

Prospective Dietetic Concentration Students:

students - campus activities - yoga class

Is your Dietetics program accredited by the American Dietetic Association?

Yes. Please see our our Dietetic Concentration page, for more info about our program.

If I choose the dietetic concentration, will I have time to study abroad?

Many students do it and rave about their experiences. It will require some advance planning though, so if you're considering it, contact the Office of International Education, 802-656-4296, to start looking at some of the recommended programs and deciding what experience(s) interests you most.

Next you will need to talk with your faculty advisor about how you can work your major and minor requirements around your study abroad program.

Important to keep in mind: You need to transfer the credits you earned abroad back to UVM. Contact the Office of Transfer Affairs, or 802-656-0867, for information.

Will I get field experience?

Yes!  Practicum experience is a required component of the dietetic concentration.

What is the DPD?  What are DPD courses?

DPD stands for Didactic Program in Dietetics.  It is the group of courses one must complete in order to become a registered dietitian. 

What is a Verification Statement or a Declaration of Intent?

In order to apply for many internships or grad school programs you need:

  • a completed Verification Statement: given once you have completed all the DPD courses
  • Or a Declaration of Intent Form: if you still have DPD courses to complete, but will have them completed by the time your internship or grad program starts

 You request both of these forms from your DPD director.  It is very helpful if you provide the DPD Director with a copy of your Official Transcript for a Verification Statement, or a copy of your unofficial transcript for a Declaration of Intent.

I went to another University for most of my college education, and completed most of the DPD coursework there.  Can I get a verification statement from UVM?

In order to obtain a verification statement from UVM, you must complete at least four 200 level classes at UVM.

Should I apply to a graduate program or an internship?

This is really a personal decision.  The field of dietetics is moving towards a compulsory masters degree in 2024, which means you'd have to have a masters degree to be a dietitian, so it may help your future job prospects to obtain one now, or concurrently with an internship. 

However, by completing an internship you might be able to obtain a job which could then help you fund a masters program later.  The route you take really depends on your future goals, and whether you are currently interested in practical experience (the internship), or furthering your education in addition to practical experience (masters + internship concurrently or to follow).

How do I apply to an internship?

A computer matching program, DICAS, is used to apply for most internships, although some programs use their own applications, read directions carefully!  (DICAS website)  Some graduate programs also use DICAS, usually in addition to their own application process.  Make sure to read directions VERY carefully for the programs you're interested in. 

Why should I become a Registered Dietitian, it seems hard and long?

You certainly need to have a passion for health, wellness, food, the way our bodies work, cooking, or helping people achieve their full potential to become a Registered Dietitian, as it is a long road! 

But the career possibilities for an R.D. are basically limitless, and it's a growing field, meaning you're more likely to find a job that you love.  If you become an R.D. you could have a career working with athletes, cooking for school children, researching disease prevention, helping people recover from serious illnesses, managing a corporate wellness program, developing a new food, promoting a local food system, and SO MANY MORE. 

You should become an R.D. because something about nutrition speaks to your soul.  Passion counts.


Prospective Graduate Students:

students in research lab

What are my options for a graduate degree?

We offer a Master in Nutrition and Food Sciences and a Master in Dietetics.

How do I apply?

Applications for prospective grad students are handled through the UVM Graduate College: UVM, 332 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05401, 802-656-2699,

Questions regarding the application process are handled by the Graduate College.

Besides meeting the minimum requirements how are students selected for acceptance into the NFS graduate program?

Gradaute student applicants must have a faculty member willing to serve as their graduate advisor in order to be accepted.  When considering a graduate student the whole package is considered.

Can I complete the academic requirements for an RD (Registered Dietitian) while getting my Master's degree?

You can work on them - but you probably won't have time to complete them all while earning your MS. (Solution: Students either complete some of the requirements before applying to the grad program - or stay on for a third year to finish the didactics requirements).

Questions? Contact Farryl Bertmann, PhD, RDN, Master in Dietetics (MSD) Program Director

I have a non-related B.S. degree. Do you consider students with degrees in other fields for your Master's programs?

Yes. Our grad students have lived a variety of educational and professional "lives" - as magazine editors, AmeriCorps volunteers, linguistic majors, teachers, dairy farmers - before coming to do their graduate work in Nutrition and Food Sciences at UVM. What they all had in common: At least one semester of organic chemistry, before they applied. It's required.

If you are interested in a Master's Degree in Dietetics there are different qualifications and guidelines for applying. Please visit our Master of Science in Dietetics page for further information.

I am an international graduate student, what documents do I need? How much will my education cost?

The UVM Graduate College is best equipped to answer all of your questions about immigration and visas; tuitions and fees. Graduate College

You will need to take the TOEFL exam and receive a score of 100 or above to be considered for a funded graduate assistantship.