• Graduation: Celebrating students' accomplishments

We are excited that your child is joining us at UVM!  Your son or daughter has chosen a wonderful university with many resources to support student success. The Office of International Education (OIE) is where many students begin their UVM journey and we can support students in ways that support their success socially, culturally, and from an immigration perspective. 

Here are some examples of what we do:

Immigration Social & Cultural Advising Programming
  • Discuss cultural expectations in the US and support students who are feeling homesick
  • Advise on how to communicate with US students, faculty and staff in formal and informal ways
  • Discuss options for getting involved on campus


How You can Help

We know that it can be hard to have your son or daughter live far away from home, and that supporting them from a distance can be challenging. Here are some ways that you can help their success at the University of Vermont:

  • Remind them that they need to keep their immigration documents safe, and that they should check with the Office of International Education before they travel outside of the US.
  • Encourage them to use UVM’s support services to help their academics, health, and personal well-being. Our office is always a great place to start.
  • Ask them about details in their lives here – that will help you better understand their daily experience in Vermont.
  • Support them getting involved outside of their academics. This will help them make friends, feel connected, and build skills that employers value.
  • Remember that they are in good hands, and that the UVM community is here to help them when they need it.

Immigration Support

As an international student, your child has certain rules to follow while in the US. Students must remain enrolled full-time during the fall and spring semesters (plus summer if it is their first or last term), must follow employment rules for on and off-campus, and must update the OIE of any changes of their information like major changes and new addresses. When students travel outside of the US, they should carry their passport and I-20/DS-2019 with them in their hand luggage. I-20/DS-2019 documents should be signed before leaving the US. ONLY the OIE can advise students on their F-1/J-1 immigration record, including the requirements listed above. If you know they are wondering about these things, urge them to meet with an OIE advisor before making any additional plans. 

Contact Information

These are some offices which the Office of International Education Works with closely and which might be helpful in supporting your son or daughter. Often, offices can only work with the student directly because of US privacy laws, but if you share these phone numbers, perhaps your son/daughter can contact them!

Office of International Education (OIE)  +1-802-656-4296
Student Health Services (SHS)    +1-802-656-3350
Counseling and Psychiatry Services (CAPS) +1-802-656-3340
Student Financial Services (SFS)  +1-802-656-5700


If students do not know where to go for help, they can always start at the OIE.  If we cannot help a student, we can refer students to another appropriate office.

Frequently Asked Questions

When does the tuition bill arrive and how can I pay it?

Your student will receive an email that the tuition bill is available in his/her MyUVM account.  This does not happen until after he/she registers for classes and the due date depends on when registration occurred.  Parents cannot see the bill without a student’s permission.  Your student must set you up as a proxy if he/she wants you to see the bill.  Additional information is available on the Student Financial Services website. Students in the Global Gateway Program (GGP) program pay for their tuition directly to Study Group.  After they finish the GGP, they paid tuition directly to UVM.

What are UVM classes like?

At UVM, the average class size is about 30 students.  Some classes are smaller and some are as big as 200 students.  Students are expected to attend class and participate.  Class attendance and participation is usually part of a student’s grade.  Professors expect student discussion and opinions to be a learning tool.  For each hour of class, students can expect about three hours of studying.

All UVM professors are required to have office hours.  These are times when students can go and ask for help.  Most professors are happy to arrange a private appointment if students need extra.  Students are encouraged to interact with their professors.  The relationship between students and professors can be very informal.  Some professors may even ask students to use their first names!

What is UVM’s grading system?

UVM professors give students a letter grade that also appears on student transcripts as a number.  A student’s Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated based on the number grade and the number of credits each class is worth.  The highest possible GPA is 4.0 and the lowest is 0.0.  Most students must have at least a 2.0 to continue studying at UVM. Some majors require a higher GPA.

My student needs help in a class beyond office hours.  How can they find help?

UVM has several options.  The Tutoring Center offers individual and group tutoring and study skills classes.  The Writing Center helps develop writing skills.  Student Accessibility Services supports students with documented disabilities, including learning disabilities.  The Global Gateway Program for Undergraduate Study (GGP) has special tutors just for GGP students.

My student is having trouble making friends.  How can they meet people?

The best way to meet people and make friends is to get involved.  Students can check out the Getting Involved section of our website for ideas on how to get involved in groups at UVM and in Burlington. If students need support, encourage them to meet with an OIE advisor – we are experts in helping students find ways to get involved.

My student has health concerns.  Where can they go?

For physical health concerns, students should start at UVM’s Student Health Services.  In the US, mental health is considered just as important as physical health in a person’s overall wellbeing.  For mental health concerns, students should start at UVM’s Counseling and Psychiatry Services (CAPS).  Many services are free for students.  The UVM Medical Center’s hospital is next to campus but it is only for emergencies.

I have questions about my student’s grades or medical treatment.  What can UVM tell me?

According to US law, American universities cannot tell parents, family members or other people anything about a student’s academic or medical records without a student’s written permission.  The best way to get information about your student’s academic or medical records is to talk to your student.


If you have questions or concerns, it is best to start with talking to your student.  In emergency situations, you can also contact the OIE.