At the Office of International Education, the health and safety of UVM students is our number one priority. The following provides information on what you can do before, during, and after your time abroad to ensure you remain healthy and safe for your overseas experience. For additional information, please see the health, safety, and emergencies sections in the Pre-Departure Guidebook.

International Health Insurance

You are required to have a valid medical insurance policy in order to participate in a study abroad program. As long as you complete the UVM study abroad approval process through GoAbroad and are approved to study abroad, UVM's International SOS membership provides insurance for sicknesses or injuries which occur while you are studying abroad. It does not provide coverage for routine or preventative services, and therefore you should take care of any/all preventative care you can think of (dental, vision, general medical) in advance of your study abroad experience. You should also verify your own health insurance policy to see what coverage it provides for medical services abroad. Some programs and/or countries may require that you purchase a specific type of health insurance, on top of what you receive with International SOS or your own US-based health insurance. Check with your university or program provider for requirements.

Geoblue (and many other companies) have non-student options for international health insurance if you have friends or family visiting you. Anyone visiting you while you are abroad should have adequate health insurance for the duration of their visit. 

International SOS

UVM has contracted with a company called International SOS to provide worldwide assistance and evacuation services for all registered UVM students. International SOS offers travel, medical, and security advice and services, basic international health insurance, as well as online access to information which many insurance companies do not offer. International SOS is only valid for your program dates, and does not cover you for any additional time before or after your program you might choose to engage in personal travel. For this, you would want to purchase separate international health insurance coverage, which many different companies provide. For more information, visit the International SOS website.

In Case of Emergency

Contact UVM's emergency services provider abroad, International SOS, by calling 1-215-942-8226.

Our staff is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via UVM Police Services at 1-802-656-3473.

Make sure you have filled out an Emergency Action Plan and have shared it with your emergency contacts. Always contact your host university/program provider before contacting UVM.


The UVM Travel Clinic serves the needs of UVM students traveling internationally. The clinic provides services including providing required and recommended immunizations for the region you're visiting. The Travel Clinic is located within Primary Care, on the ground floor of 425 Pearl Street. Appointments can be made by calling Primary Care at (802) 656-3350.

Register your time abroad at the nearest embassy/consulate with the US Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Plan (STEP).