• Downtown on Church Street: Church Street is a popular place for families to spend some time

While you are at UVM, whether for two weeks or two years, the Office of International Education looks forward to working with you. These pages below may be useful for many of the parts of life in a new town and country - taking care of set-up tasks, getting connected to the community, thinking about travel, etc. 

Living in Burlington

Moving and settling into a new place is exciting, but it can also be hard. If you're looking to learn more about the community, how to get around, and where to find a spiritual or religious home, we have resources for you on our Living in Burlington, Vermont page, as well as moving to Vermont with spouses and families. There are also lots of ways to get involved that will help you make new connections and build community here. 

At some point in your time in Burlington, you will also experience a Vermont winter. Vermont winters can be long and cold but are also great opportunities to have fun and be active outdoors. We have tips for dressing appropriately and enjoying Vermont winters here.

Working in Vermont

If you are working and earning a paycheck while at UVM, you need to know about two important things - Social Security Numbers (SSNs) and taxes!  You can learn more about SSNs here and more about taxes here.

Updates with the Office of International Education

While at UVM, you must keep the Office of International Education informed of changes in address and phone number. You must also report any changes to your program, such as if you decide to leave Vermont earlier than planned. All of this can be done in iStart by logging in with your UVM netID and password.

If you hope to stay at UVM longer than planned or there are other significant changes to your program, your department must start the request through the Office of International Education. 


Burlington is a great city to live and work in but what if you want to travel outside the US?  Maybe a visit to family back home, a conference in another country or just a day trip to Montreal?  We have some basic information on travel and re-entry to the US and travel to Canada.  If you have specific questions about traveling in your status, please contact us.

Can't find the information that you need?  Contact the OIE.