Use Your Bachelor's Degree to Launch a Profession in High Demand.
Teach. Discover. Encourage. Nurture. Educate. Inspire.
Through UVM's Accelerated Master's Pathway (AMP), you can earn both your bachelor's degree and a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Middle Level Education in just 5 years. In other words, you only need one additional year beyond your undergraduate degree to earn the MAT.
If you are an undergraduate student at UVM with room in your schedule to take 3-9 credits in Middle Level Education before graduation, the AMP is a great opportunity to begin your graduate coursework early and save money on graduate tuition costs. Up to 9 credits can be double-counted towards both your master’s and bachelor's degrees. Multiple teaching licensure options are available based on your academic degree area (Math, Science, Social Studies, and English). We also offer scholarships to qualified candidates.
If you have already earned your bachelor’s degree from UVM or another institution, or if you are a UVM senior without room for 3-9 Middle Level Education credits before graduation, the traditional one-year MAT pathway is a great choice for you.
Our graduates are in great demand and enjoy a high job placement rate in schools throughout Vermont and across the country, and a master's degree equates to a higher pay scale.
- Middle level best practices that address the nature and needs of young adolescents
- Interdisciplinary teaching approaches that promote student voice in their learning
- Teaching approaches that emphasize real-world learning such as place-based, problem-based, and project-based learning
- Teaching approaches that engage young adolescents in democratic citizenship such as social justice education and sustainability education
- Fully-funded professional development opportunities