UVM is recognized as one of the Best Graduate Schools of Education by U.S. News and World Reports
The University of Vermont's Master's Degree (M.Ed.) in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies cultivates innovative leaders who can build and strengthen communities in a variety of educational and social service settings. Through research-informed coursework and practical experiences in the field, you will learn to think and act creatively, responsibly, and effectively in leadership roles that make a positive difference in the lives of children, youth, adults, families, and communities.
Our program is unique in that it caters to individuals who are engaged in schools, colleges and other organizational settings in health and human services, law enforcement, and other fields. In particular, the program is for those seeking to broaden and deepen professional knowledge as a way to improve or expand their contributions in the field. We strive to improve practices through the generation of new knowledge and service to educational institutions, human services, and policy arenas.
To learn more about financial support for qualified students, visit our Graduate Tuition Scholarships webpage.
"The mentorship and education I received were absolutely incredible and priceless. The courses are interesting and impactful, the faculty are experts in the field, and the program sets students up for whatever their version of success looks like. My niche research interests were supported and encouraged, and I have UVM to thank for many of the opportunities I have taken advantage of since graduation. Years after graduating, I can still reach out to my advisors and mentors from UVM for support as a scholar."
-Benjamin Carmichael, M.Ed. (G'17)
Major themes in the Educational Leadership and Policy Studies M.Ed. program:
- Leadership theory and practice
- Social justice
- Teaching and learning
- Organizational renewal and change
- Communication and collaboration
- Social institutions, diversity and equity
- Systems context and management
- Inquiry, reflection and action
- Policy, law and finance
Learning outcomes include the following:
- Understanding alternative perspectives on leadership that support the development of more just, humane, and diverse organizations
- Constructing effective ways to demonstrate caring and collaborative leadership
- Creation of networks that support transformative leadership and change