University of Vermont

Untitled Document
Grading at UVM

Transferring to UVM

:: Applying for Admission

For undergraduate students new to the University of Vermont the transfer process begins with Admissions. Former undergraduate students who wish to return to UVM should contact Student Services in the Dean's Office of their former college or school to inquire about reinstatement. Graduate students and medical students wishing to transfer to the University of Vermont should contact their respective colleges to inquire about applying for admission.

:: Degree Completion While at UVM

There are limits on the number of credits transferred that may be applied to the degree program and major selected. In general, 30 of the last 45 credits earned for the UVM degree must be taken at the University. Please consult the online catalogue for specific college/school policies.

:: After You Have Been Accepted

After you have been accepted and have confirmed your intention to enroll at UVM, the Office of Transfer Affairs will complete a credit evaluation to determine if and how your previously taken courses will transfer.

In general, credit is granted for courses that are:

  • taken at regionally accredited, degree-granting colleges and universities
  • comparable in content, nature, and intensity to course offerings in the corresponding discipline at UVM
  • graded at a level of C or higher (on an A-F scale)

NOTE: Courses with a grade of C- or below will not transfer. Grades of P (Pass) or S (Satisfactory) will be accepted only with official documentation verifying that they represent successful completion of a specific course at the level of C or higher.

Credit is not granted for courses that:

  • were taken at colleges and universities that are not regionally accredited (or are candidates for accreditation)*
  • are in disciplines that are not taught at UVM; e.g., criminal justice, law
  • are pre-collegiate or remedial courses; e.g., reading improvement, english/math skills courses, developmental courses
  • are personal development or self-improvement courses; e.g., career counseling, interpersonal relationships
  • appear on a transcript with no credit or grade assigned
  • reflect credit given for life/work experience
  • reflect credit given for co-op or internship credit
  • are Continuing Education Units (CEU)

*Students who have taken courses at unaccredited institutions or other courses not eligible for transfer may have the option of requesting course credit through UVM's Credit by Examination process. Please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs at for more information.

Once your credit has been evaluated you will receive an email with information on how to view your Transfer Equivalency Worksheet.

Last modified August 24 2016 09:19 AM

Contact UVM © 2018 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131