Please review the Pass/No Pass policy for the current academic year for more information, keeping in mind that you must adhere to the policy for the catalogue year you are following.


Pass/No Pass Policy for Spring 2020

Important Information for CAS Students Considering P/NP:

Following Provost Prelock’s memo regarding Academic Accommodations, we would like to provide additional clarification for CAS students. Students may elect to convert any, all, or none of their spring course grades to P/NP. As you begin to consider your options, we strongly recommend that you reference the information below and review your plan with your academic advisor and/or CAS Student Services.

Are there courses in CAS that cannot be taken as Pass/No Pass?

  • CAS students may elect to take any course Pass/No Pass. Students are encouraged to review this document in order to make informed decisions.
  • If you have a minor or secondary major outside of CAS, please check information specific to that college/school.

Do I need to let my faculty instructor know that I am taking their course Pass/No Pass?

  • No. You will be able to elect the Pass/No Pass option through the Registrar’s Office beginning April 15th. Your instructor will not be informed of your request to elect P/NP. The Registrar’s Office will record grades of D- or higher as Pass and grades of F as No Pass. The grade submitted by the instructor will not become available to the student nor to any third party. It is an expectation that you complete all of the work in the class.

I am planning to apply to graduate/medical/dental school. What should I be considering?

  • Students should consider the implication of P/NP for graduate/medical/dental school applications with particular attention paid to those courses which are most relevant to the program of study. Faculty advisors may also provide advice on these matters.

Assistance with Website Accessibility

For questions regarding accessibility to this decision tree or to notify the University regarding information or functionality that is currently inaccessible, contact the ADA/504 Coordinator.

Back to FAQs