• Student Center: Playing pool

  • Off Campus: Tasting Ben & Jerry's ice cream

  • Orientation: Preparing to welcome new students

Moving to a new country is a tough process for everyone. We want to make your transition as easy as possible and we have created this page to answer questions you may have, help you find important local services, and familiarize yourself with Burlington. For further information or help with any of these processes, visit the Office of International Education.


Burlington has many housing options but students usually sign leases several months before they move in. If at all possible, you should find housing BEFORE you arrive in Burlington.

Health and Safety

It is hard to work or study when you are ill. We hope that you stay healthy and safe during your time at UVM. Here is information to help you take care of yourself both mentally and physically.

Spiritual and Religious Life

Some students come to Burlington and wish to be involved in a religious group.  Burlington and the neighboring towns have many options for worship that include Buddhist centers, Christian churches, a Hindu temple, an Islamic society and Jewish temples.  UVM’s Interfaith Center maintains a list of contact information for many places of worship.  The Interfaith Center also hosts many events each semester to help people explore faith and spirituality.  Visit the Interfaith Center's website or in person to learn more.

UVM supports students’ rights to practice a religion of their choice.  It encourages faculty and staff to be thoughtful about scheduling special events on religious holidays and provides accommodation for students who need to miss class or exams because of religious observance. Please see the Office of the Registrar’s website for additional information.

Taxes and Social Security Numbers (SSNs)

The US has a very complicated tax system. It includes a lot of forms and numbers. UVM-affiliated international students, scholars, research personnel, faculty and staff must file tax forms for each year you are in the US, even if you do not work. If you work, you need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). You must have a SSN before you can receive your first paycheck. Here is information to get you started.


It is very easy to walk around campus and downtown.  Burlington has a wonderful public transportation system and you can ride for free with your UVM CatCard.  Here are useful resources for getting around.

Day-to-Day Life

Burlington is a great place to live.  We hope that during your time here, you will explore many of the things that Burlington has to offer.  By exploring and getting involved on campus and in the community, Burlington will start to feel like home.  Here are some ideas of where to start.

Inviting Family Members

Often, students want to invite family members to come to the US. If you want to invite any family member or friend to visit for a short time, your family member or friend can apply for a B-1/B-2 visa. He/she does not need any paperwork from the OIE. If you want to invite your spouse (husband or wife) or child to come for the whole time you are here as a student, you can request an I-20 or DS-2019 from the OIE for your spouse or child. Your spouse or child can then apply for an F-2 or J-2 visa.