Below is a list of computer applications that Enterprise Technology Services recommends and supports. Most of these applications, along with other advanced applications, are available for use in the computing facilities in the Waterman Building, the Howe Library, and other labs around campus.
All the recommended applications will run on new computers available for purchase from the UVM Techstore in the Bookstore.
- Essential Software
- How to Obtain Essential Software
- Network Connectivity Software (File transfer, Shell access, Virtual Private Network)
- Advanced and Specialized Applications
These applications comprise the recommended productivity applications for Windows and macOS computers. They include business applications, communications and internet tools, and virus protection.
Legend: macOS App | Windows App | Web App
- Office Suite: Microsoft Office
- Email: Microsoft Outlook | UVM Outlook on the Web (OWA) | Apple Mail
- Word Processing: Microsoft Word
- Spreadsheets: Microsoft Excel
- Presentations: Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web Browser: Microsoft Edge | Internet Explorer | Google Chrome | Mozilla Firefox | Safari
- Antivirus: Windows Defender (built into Windows 8 and higher) See Microsoft Windows 10 Security.
- Database: Microsoft Access | FileMaker Pro
The University of Vermont has licensed many software packages and provides them at a reduced price or for free to UVM affiliates. Below, we've listed sources for commonly used software. A complete list of UVM software licenses is available on our Software page.
- Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES) provides UVM with the most current versions of Microsoft Office and Windows to UVM-owned computers.
- Microsoft Select Agreement allows departments (and students) to purchase licenses for other Microsoft products at a reduced cost.
- Students, Faculty, and Staff:
- Microsoft Office is available to students, full-time faculty, and staff for personal use for free. See our Knowledge Base article: Office 365 – Licensing, Installation, and Activation.
- Microsoft Outlook is included in Microsoft Office (see above).
- Apple Mail is integrated with macOS and is installed on all Macs.
- Mozilla Thunderbird is available—though no longer recommended—from Mozilla. Thunderbird does not support Exchange features (calendaring, server-based address book, notes, rules, etc.), though it can be used as an IMAP email client with UVM.
- Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer are installed on all MS Windows computers.
- Safari is installed on all Apple Mac computers.
- Google Chrome is available for download from Google.
- Mozilla Firefox is available for download from Mozilla.
- UVM does not currently provide antivirus software.
- FileMaker Pro is available for departments at discounted academic pricing from FileMaker's Volume Licensing program. Discounts start at 1 unit. Contact a Volume Licensing representative (email link), or 800-725-2747 Mon - Fri, 5 am - 5 pm PT. FileMaker Pro for personal use is available at reduced academic prices from the Apple Store.
File transfer, Shell access, Virtual Private Network
- Terminal SSH — Included in the macOS.
- PuTTY SSH — Free for educational use.
- FileZilla SFTP — Free for use (open source) through the GNU General Public License.
- Fetch SFTP — Free for educational use. UVM Software Portal or Managed Software Center on managed computers
- Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client — University licensed. UVM Software Portal, Software Center on managed computers
Today's computers are capable of running applications that perform complex manipulations of images, facilitate statistical analysis, and do much more. The following recommended applications are complex and may require specific skills or additional learning. UVM does not license all of the programs listed; the software manufacturer may require a software license
Statistics & Mathematics
- R and RStudio
- GraphPad Prism
See The ETS Licensed Software Page for details.
- Adobe Photoshop — Purchase of license is required
- IrfanView — Free
- Photos — Free
- Adobe Illustrator — Purchase of license is required
- Adobe Dreamweaver — Purchase of license is required
- Drupal for departmental websites — Free
- Wordpress for students, faculty, and staff — Free
Bibliography and Manuscript
- EndNote — Licensed
Music & Internet Radio Listening
- Qualtrics — Licensed