Assistant Professor - Analytical Chemistry, Bioanalytical Chemistry, Neurochemistry
Research and/or Creative Works
Our lab develops and optimizes analytical methods (including sampling, microfluidics, and electrochemical sensing technology) to make quantitative measurements of a range of analytes. These analytes include molecules produced by the gut microbiome (such as short chain fatty acids), contaminants in water ecosystems (i.e. heavy metals), and those responsible for signaling in the central nervous system (i.e. neurotransmitters and neuropeptides).
We utilize a variety of surface chemistry to make our sensing devices, including but not limited to ionophores and molecular imprinting technology.
Check out our lab website for more information!
- Ou, Y., Buchanan, A.M., Witt, C.E., Hashemi, P. Frontiers in Electrochemical Sensors for Neurotransmitter Detection: Towards Measuring Neurotransmitters as Chemical Diagnostics for Brain Disorders. Analytical Methods. 2019. 11: 2738-2755. Featured on back cover.
- Siriwardhane, T., Ou, Y., Pathirathna, P, Hashemi, P. Analysis of Electrochemically Elusive Trace Metals with Carbon Fiber Microelectrodes. Analytical Chemistry. 2018. 90(20): 11917-11924.
- Ou, Y., Wilson, R.E., Weber, S.G. Methods of Measuring Enzyme Activity Ex Vivo and In Vivo. Annual Review of Analytical Chemistry. 2018. 11: 509-533.
- Ou, Y., Weber, S.G. Higher Aminopeptidase Activity Determined by Electroosmotic Push-Pull Perfusion Contributes to Selective Vulnerability of the Hippocampal CA1 Region to Oxygen-Glucose Deprivation. ACS Chemical Neuroscience. 2018. 9(3): 535-544.
- Ou, Y., Weber, S.G. Numerical modeling of Electroosmotic Push-Pull Perfusion and Assessment of its Application to Ectoenzyme Measurements in Mammalian Tissue. Analytical Chemistry. 2017. 89: 5864-5873.
- Ou, Y., Wu, J., Sandberg, M., Weber, S. G. Electroosmotic Perfusion of Tissue: Sampling the Extracellular Space and Quantitative Assessment of Membrane-Bound Enzyme Activity in Organotypic Hippocampal Slice Cultures. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2014. 406: 6455-6468.
Awards and Recognition
2019 – The Midwest Universities Analytical Chemistry Conference Travel Award
2015 – 2016 – Andrew Mellon Fellowship
2011 – 2013 – Arts & Sciences Fellowship
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Bioanalytical Chemistry, Neurochemistry, Biochemistry, Depression, PTSD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Electrochemical Sensing, Separations, Neuropeptides, Neurotransmitters, Voltammetry, Carbon Fiber Microelectrodes
- B.S. Biochemistry — Florida State University, 2011
- B.S. Chemistry — Florida State University, 2011
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry — University of Pittsburgh, 2017
- Postdoctoral Researcher — University of South Carolina, 2018-2020
- (802) 656-2435