Mingruo Guo, a food chemist and inventor, specializes in the areas of functional foods, whey based environmentally safe products, prebiotics and probiotics, infant formula, herbs and nutritional food development. His ongoing research projects include whey protein-based, environmentally safe adhesive and glue products; milk, soy and oat-based symbiotic foods; soy-based coffee creamer; application of limited proteolysis of milk proteins in infant formula; and functional goat-milk yogurt kefir. He is author of the textbook "Functional Foods- Principles and Technology", published in 2007. He serves as a consultant to both trouble shoot and help food manufacturers develop new products. He has a patent on spray drying technology and two others pending on functional foods and whey protein based wood finishes. The environmentally safe wood finish was awarded as one of the top 10 Green Products in the US.
- Wang H., Wang, C.N. and M.R. Guo. 2019. Effects of addition of strawberry juicepre- or post- fermentation on physiochemical and sensory properties of fermented goat milk. J. Dairy Science, 102:4978-4988.
- Fang, T.Q. and M.R. Guo. 2019. Physiochemical, texture properties and microstructure of yogurt using polymerized whey protein directly prepared from cheese whey as thickening agent. J. Dairy Science. 102: http://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2018-1688.
- Wang, C.N., X. Zhao, H. Wang, X. Sun and M.R. Guo. 2019. Interactions between-lactoglobulin and 3,3-Diindolymethane in model system. Molecules, 24(11), 2151; doi:10.3390/molecules24112151.
- Sun Y.X., Wang, C.N., Sun X. M. and M.R. Guo. 2019. Comparative proteomics of whey and milk fat globule membrane proteins of Guanzhong goat and Holstein cow mature milk. Journal of Food Science. 84(2):244-253.
- Yang R.S., Wang C.N. Ye H.Q., Gao F., Zhang T.H. and M.R. Guo. 2019. Effects of feeding hyperlipidemia rats with symbiotic oat-based frozen yogurt on serum triglycerides and cholesterol. Food Science & Nutrition, doi:10.1002/fsn3.949.
- Shen, X., C. H.Zhao, J. Lu, M.R. Guo. 2018. Physicochemical properties of whey protein stabilized astaxanthin nanodispersion and its transport via Caco-2 monolayer. J. Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 66(6):1472-1478.
- Sun X. M., Wang C. N., Wang H., and M. R. Guo. 2018. Effects of processing on structure and thermal properties of powdered preterm infant formula. 2018. Journal of Food Science. 83(6):1685-1694.
- Sun, X. M., Wang, C. N. and Guo M. R. 2018. Interactions between whey protein or polymerized whey protein and soybean lecithin in model system. J. Dairy Science.101(11):9680-9692.
- Ma, S., Wang, C.N., and M.R. Guo. 2018. Effect of ultrasound treatment on antioxidant activity and structure of β-lactoglobulin using the Box–Behnken design (BBD). CyTA - Journal of Food 16(1):596-606.
- Wang, G.R., N. Liu, and M.R. Guo. 2018. Use of whey protein as a natural polymer for tissue adhesive: preliminary formulation and evaluation in vitro. Polymers 10, 843; doi:10.3390/polym 10080843.
Associations and Affiliations
- Institute of Food Technologists
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Society for Nutritional Sciences
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Developing soy, oats and milk-based "functional foods" and creating environmentally safe products from cheese whey. In addition he uses whey protein as a major ingredient to develop micro-encapsulation for probiotics and other functional components
- PhD, Food Chemistry, National University of Ireland at Cork, Ireland, 1990
- MS Dairy Technology, Northeast Agricultural University (NEAU), Harbin, China, 1985
- BS Animal Science, Northeast Agricultural University (NEAU), Harbin, China, 1982
351 MLS Carrigan Wing
- NFS 205 Functional Foods: Principles and Technology
- NFS 286: Food Science Senior Seminar
- NFS 295: Food Production Development