Orange barReview financing options for non-degree students, including those enrolling as continuing education students and those enrolling in certificate programs.

Non-Degree Financing and Financial Aid

Financial aid for non-degree students is limited and eligibility varies by program and intent of enrollment. In limited circumstances, Federal Stafford Loan funding may be available, as well as Federal Parent PLUS Loan funding for parents of dependent students.

Federal Aid for Certificate Program Students

Federal financial aid (Stafford and Parent PLUS Loans) is not available to students enrolled soley in a UVM certificate program. Please see below for other financing options.

For students who are earning a UVM certificate within a degree program:

  • Federal financial aid eligibility for matriculated undergraduate, graduate and medical degree students who are simultaneously earning a UVM certificate is reviewed and determined on a case-by-case basis. You may be eligible for federal financial aid if all of the following apply:
    • Your certificate coursework fulfills requirements of your degree program.
    • You are enrolled at least half-time in coursework that satisfies requirements of your degree program.
    • You meet the eligibility criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • To be considered for financial aid, submit the FAFSA for the appropriate school year and respond promptly to any requests for additional information from Student Financial Services. If applying for financial aid for the summer, file the FAFSA for the preceding academic year.

Federal Aid for Continuing Education Students

Limited federal aid may be available to continuing education students who are taking courses required for admission to a program that will lead to a Bachelor, Masters, or higher degree. Please note the following:

  • To be eligible for federal aid a student must be enrolled in 6 credits of qualifying coursework.
  • Aid eligibility is limited to a single, consecutive, 12-month period.
  • Parents of dependent students meeting the criteria above may be eligible to borrow through the Federal Parent PLUS Loan Program.

If the situation above applies to you and you would like to be considered for financial aid, please complete the FAFSA for the appropriate academic year. If applying for aid for summer, please fill out the FAFSA for the preceding academic year. Learn more about the next steps for financial aid.

Continuing education students taking coursework for any other reason than described above are not eligible for federal aid. Please see below for other financing options.

Other Financing Options for Continuing Education & Certificate Students

Private/Alternative Student Loans

  • Private or alternative students loans may be available through banks, credit unions or higher education authorities. Rates, terms and conditions will vary by lender. Learn more here. Please note that UVM is unable to recommend specific private loan lenders.

Non-Degree Grant

Monthly Payment Plan