Students at UVM can specify the first name and pronoun they want used on campus.

All students at the University of Vermont can indicate their preferred first name and pronoun to the University community regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their names.

Choosing a preferred name in the BANNER system will automatically change which name appears in many internal locations such as class lists, grade reports, and unofficial transcripts.

Update Preferred First Name and Pronoun

Keeping Your Legal Name Private

If you do not wish UVM to share your legal name with external organizations you have the option of requesting FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) directory exclusion, which revokes the University's right to share any of your information with any outside source. This option is available on the Preferred Name and Pronoun Form.

It is important to know that choosing to request FERPA exclusion means that you will not be listed in the directory and the University cannot confirm your student status (e.g., for the purposes of credit card and insurance verifications, etc.). For more information, please contact the Registrar's Office at 802-656-2045.

It is not possible to change your legal name to preferred in the UVM system yet list your legal name in the directory.

How to Indicate Your Preferred Name and/or Pronoun

To indicate your preferred first name and/or preferred pronoun, log in to myUVM, navigate to the Registrar page and click on preferred name in the Personal Info section of the My Records channel. Follow the instructions posted on the Preferred First Name and Pronoun form. Please remember to click Update to ensure that your preferences have been saved.

PLEASE NOTE: For some applications, the preferred name will immediately display. For others, there is a 24-hour waiting period before changes will appear in the system.

Should you choose to list a preferred pronoun, it will only appear on class rosters and advisor lists. Your choice of pronoun is restricted to the following options:

none (nothing listed)
name only

Name only indicates the student wishes to never be referred to by any pronoun.

Staff with an administrative need (e.g., police, health, and financial services; Dean's Office staff) will see both legal and preferred names. Similar to GPAs and other sensitive information, these staff are trained on the implications of this access.

Please report any problems with this process to the Prism Center (656-8637;, Registrar's Office (656-2045;, or the Dean of Students Office (656-3380;

Changing Your CATcard

After twenty-four hours, your preferred name will appear in the system and you can request a new CATcard. When making a name-change on your ID card, it is possible to retain your old card if you so choose. Visit the CATcard Service Center to have a new ID card issued. There is a $10 fee for this service.

If you have questions about this process, please contact LGBTQA Services at 802-656-8637 or via e-mail. You can also contact the Registrar's Office for more specific questions about information systems impacted by these choices.

Change Your Email Address

UVM email addresses are comprised of three separate components: NetID, accompanying name, and an email alias.

PLEASE NOTE: If you simply wish to change your email address from your alias to your NetID (from to, a preferred name is not needed to do this.

If you chose the Please generate a new email address... option when you completed the Preferred First Name and Pronoun form, you will get a new email alias and accompanying name based on your preferred name (e.g., instead of

If you also wish to change your NetID, or if you are not satisfied with the alias created for you, please contact Identity and Account Management (Tel: 802-656-2006). They can help you customize your entries if necessary. Generating the new alias happens overnight; send yourself an email the next day to see your new email address.

If you chose to change your UVM email to your preferred name but wish to communicate via email using your legal name, we recommend that you create a non-UVM email account (e.g., gmail, yahoo).

Places Where Preferred First Name is Used

  • Catamount Job Link Database
  • CATcard
  • Degree Audit Reporting System
  • Grade Reports
  • Advisee Lists
  • Unofficial Transcripts
  • Library sign-out process
  • Directory Listing (unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)

Places Where Legal First Name is Used

  • Student Accounts
  • Financial Aid
  • Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests (unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)
  • Official Transcripts
  • College of Education teacher certification records
  • Merit Page (note: students can opt out of participation in Merit)

Please Note: preferred name is used solely for UVM's internal systems; external systems (such as home-town newspapers, official transcripts, enrollment verifications, etc.) will continue to use your legal first name.