Rachel Johnson is a well-known expert on national nutrition policy, pediatric nutrition, dietary intake methodology and energy metabolism. She serves as Chair of the American Heart Association Nutrition Committee. She is the former Associate Provost of UVM and Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
- Lichtenstein AH, Carson JS, Johnson RK, Kris-Etherton PM, Fulgoni VL, Pappas A, Rupp L, Stitzel KF, Vafiadis DK. Food intake patterns assessed by using front-of-pack labeling program criteria associated with better diet quality lower cardiometabolic risk. Am J Clin Nutr, 2014;99:454-62.
- Yon BA, Johnson RK*. Dietary Patterns and Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption among Adolescents and Adults. Current Nutrition Reports 2014, published online January 5, 2014 - http://link.springer.com/journal/13668.
- Yon BA, Johnson RK*. Elementary and middle school children’s acceptance of lower-calorie flavored milk as measured by milk shipment and participation in the National School Lunch Program. J School Health, 2014,84:3:205-211.
- Amin SA, Johnson RK*. Room for Improvement: Americans’ Dietary Patterns and Food Environment. President’s Council Sports, Fitness and Nutrition - Research Digest, Series 15, Number 1, pg 3 - 14, March 2014. https://www.presidentschallenge.org/informed/elevatehealth/docs/201403elevatehealth_1.pdf
- Amin SA, Yon BA, Taylor JT, Johnson RK*. When fruits and vegetables are optional, elementary school children choose processed over whole offerings. J Child Nutr and Mngt, Vol 38: Issue 1, Spring 2014. www.schoolnutrition.org/Content.aspx?id=20312.
- Gardner C, Whitsel L, Thorndike A, Marrow M, Otten M, Foster G, Carson JA, Johnson RK. Food and Beverage Environment and Procurement Policies for Healthier Work Environments. Nutr Rev, 2014. doi:10.1111/nure.12116
- Taylor JT, Yon BA, Johnson RK*. Digital imaging is a feasible, reliable, and valid measure of school children's fruit and vegetable consumption. J Acad Nutr and Diet, 2014. http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S2212-2672%2814%2900231-7/fulltext
- Antman EM, Appel LJ, Balentine D, Johnson RK, Steffen LM, Miller EA, Pappas A, Stitzel KF, Vafiadis DK, Whitsel L. Stakeholder discussion to reduce population-wide sodium intake and decrease sodium in the food supply - A Conference Report from the American Heart Association Sodium Conference 2013. Circulation, 2014. Published online before print May 5, 2014, doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000051
- Johnson RK. Front of Pack Labeling - Healthier Diets and Better Health or Confused Consumers? Nutrition Bulletin, 2014;39:235-237.
Associations and Affiliations
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition Science Board-appointed by the President of the United States, 2011-2014.
- American Heart Association Nutrition Committee Member, 2006-2014. Vice Chair 2010-2012, Chair 2012-2014.
- American Heart Association National Spokesperson, 2009-present.
- Food Day Advisory Board-Center for Science in the Public Interest, 2010-present.
- American Medical Association Expert Committee on the Assessment, Prevention and Managament of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity, 2005-2007.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)- appointed by the Commissioner of FDA to the Additives and Ingredients Subcommittee-Food advisory Committee, 2001-2005.
- National Academy of Sciences-Institute of Medicine Panel on the Dietary Reference Intakes for the Macronutrients. Appointed by the President of the National Academy of Sciences-Institute of Medicine, 1999-2002.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture / U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Dietary Guidelines Scientific Advisory Committee - appointed by the Secretaries of USDA and DHHS and the U.S. Surgeon General, 1998 -2000.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
National nutrition policy, pediatric nutrition, dietary intake methodology, energy metabolism and diet and cardiovascular health.
- PhD, Nutrition, Pennsylvania State University, 1991
- MPH, Public Health Nutrition, University of Hawaii, 1980
- BS, Dietetics, Pennsylvania State University, 1974