Paul Kindstedt`s primary research interests relate to the chemistry, crystallography, and structure and function of cheese. His scholarship also includes a strong emphasis on the history of cheese and its intersection with religious history and paleoclimatology. He is the author of "Cheese and Culture: A History of Cheese and its Place in Western Civilization", 2012, and "American Farmstead Cheese: A Practical Guide to Making and Selling Artisan Cheeses", 2005.
- Polowsky, P.J., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2018. Size, Shape, and Identity of Surface Crystals and their Relationship to Sensory Perception of Grittiness is Soft Smear-ripened Cheeses. J. Dairy Sci. (in press).
- Polowsky, P.J., G.F. Tansman, P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2018.
Characterization and identification of surface crystals on smear ripened cheese by polarized light microscopy. J. Dairy Sci. 101:7714-7723.
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2017. Minerals in food: Crystal structures of ikaite and struvite from bacterial smears on washed-rind cheese. The Canadian Mineralogist 55:89-100.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2017. With all your mind. God and Nature. Winter/Spring 17 (http://godandnature.asa3.org/essay-with-all-your-mind-by-paul-s-kindsedt.html).
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2017. Crystallization and demineralization phenomena in stabilized paste white mold cheese. J. Dairy Sci. 100:6074-6083.
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2017. Crystallization and demineralization phenomena in washed rind cheese. J. Dairy Sci. 100:8694-8704.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2017. The History of Cheese. Chapter 1 in Global Cheesemaking Technology: Cheese quality and characteristics. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2016. Origin of Cheese. Article in The Oxford Companion to Cheese, Oxford University Press USA, C. Donnelly ed., New York, pp. 528-31.
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2015. Crystal fingerprinting: Elucidating the crystals of Cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gouda and soft washed-rind cheeses using powder X-ray diffractometry. Dairy Sci. Technol. 95(5):651-664. DOI 10.1007/s13594-015-0225-6.
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2014. Powder X-ray diffraction can differentiate between enantiomeric variants of calcium lactate pentahydrate. J. Dairy Sci. 97:1885-1892.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2014. The Basics of Cheesemaking. Chapter 2 in Cheese and Microbes, American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Press, Washington, DC pp.17-38.
- Rajbhandari, P. and P.S. Kindstedt. 2014. Surface roughness and packaging tightness affect calcium lactate crystallization on Cheddar cheese. J. Dairy Sci. 97:1885-1892.
Associations and Affiliations
- American Dairy Science Association
- Board of Directors, VT Dairy Industry Association
- Honorary Lifetime Member, Vermont Cheese Council
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Chemistry and crystallography of cheese; history of cheese
- PhD, Food Technology, Cornell University, 1986
- MS, Animal Sciences, University of Vermont, 1981
- BS, Dairy Technology, University of Vermont, 1979
354 MLS Carrigan Wing
- NFS 050: Cheese and Culture
- NFS 195: Principles of Cheesemaking