Paul Kindstedt`s primary research interests relate to the chemistry, crystallography, and structure and function of cheese. His scholarship also includes a strong emphasis on the history of cheese and its intersection with religious history and paleoclimatology. He is the author of "Cheese and Culture: A History of Cheese and its Place in Western Civilization", 2012, and "American Farmstead Cheese: A Practical Guide to Making and Selling Artisan Cheeses", 2005.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2019. Symposium review: The Mozzarella/pasta filata years. J. Dairy Sci. 102:10670-10676.
- Kindstedt, P.S. and T. Ser-Od. 2019. Survival in a climate of change: The origin and evolution of nomadic dairying in Mongolia. Gastronomica 19(3):20-28.
- Publicover, H. and P.S. Kindstedt. 2018. Eating Curds Their Way? Early rabbinic rulings on Jewish cheesemaking and the cheese of non-Jews. Food Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal 8(4):17-27.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2018. Creating a Third Culture. God and Nature. Fall 18 (https://godandnature.asa3.org/kindstedt.html)
- Polowsky, P.J., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2018. Size, Shape, and Identity of Surface Crystals and their Relationship to Sensory Perception of Grittiness is Soft Smear-ripened Cheeses. J. Dairy Sci. 101:10720-10732.
- Polowsky, P.J., G.F. Tansman, P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2018. Characterization and identification of surface crystals on smear ripened cheese by polarized light microscopy. J. Dairy Sci. 101:7714-7723.
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2017. Minerals in food: Crystal structures of ikaite and struvite from bacterial smears on washed-rind cheese. The Canadian Mineralogist 55:89-100.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2017. With all your mind. God and Nature. Winter/Spring 17 (http://godandnature.asa3.org/essay-with-all-your-mind-by-paul-s-kindsedt.html)
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2017. Crystallization and demineralization phenomena in stabilized paste white mold cheese. J. Dairy Sci. 100:6074-6083.
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2017. Crystallization and demineralization phenomena in washed rind cheese. J. Dairy Sci. 100:8694-8704.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2017. The History of Cheese. Chapter 1 in Global Cheesemaking Technology: Cheese quality and characteristics. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, pp. 3-19.
- Kindstedt, P.S. 2016. Origin of Cheese. Article in The Oxford Companion to Cheese, C.W. Donnelly, ed., Oxford University Press USA, New York. P. 528-31.
- Tansman, G., P.S. Kindstedt and J.M. Hughes. 2015. Crystal fingerprinting: Elucidating the crystals of Cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Gouda and soft washed-rind cheeses using powder X-ray diffractometry. Dairy Sci. Technol. 95(5):651-664. DOI 10.1007/s13594-015-0225-6
Associations and Affiliations
- American Dairy Science Association
- Board of Directors, VT Dairy Industry Association
- Honorary Lifetime Member, Vermont Cheese Council
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Chemistry and crystallography of cheese; history of cheese
- PhD, Food Technology, Cornell University, 1986
- MS, Animal Sciences, University of Vermont, 1981
- BS, Dairy Technology, University of Vermont, 1979
354 MLS Carrigan Wing
- NFS 050: Cheese and Culture
- NFS 195: Principles of Cheesemaking