Meredith Niles is an assistant professor and faculty with the UVM Food Systems Program. Meredith examines food systems sustainability and policy with a focus on food security and climate change and farmer behavior and policy perceptions. Meredith thrives conducting applied research that can help bring together diverse stakeholders- whether on a farm or working with policymakers- to help solve pressing problems facing our world's food system. Meredith is a passionate advocate for open access research to make research more publicly available to maximize the potential of science and its benefits for society.
- Chriest, A.†, and M.T. Niles. Role of community social capital for acute food security following an extreme weather event. Rural Sociology. 64: 80-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2018.09.019
- Bevet, S.†, Niles, M.T., Pope, L. (2018). You can’t “nudge” nuggets: An investigation of late night dining with behavioral economics interventions. PLOS ONE. 13 (5): e0198162 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0198162
- Conrad, Z., Niles, M.T., Neher, D., Roy, E., Tichenor, N., Jahns, L. (2018). Relationship between food waste, diet quality, and environmental sustainability. PLOS ONE. 13(4): e0195405 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0195405
- Niles, M.T., and J. Salerno. (2018). A cross country analysis of climate shocks on smallholder food insecurity. PLOS ONE. 13(2): e0192928. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0192928
- Niles, M.T., Ahuja, R., Barker, T., Esquivel, J., Gutterman, S., Heller, M., Mango, N., Portner, D., Raimond, R., Tirado, C., Vermeulen, S. (2018). Climate change mitigation beyond agriculture: A review of food system opportunities and implications. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 1-12. doi:10.1017/S1742170518000029
- Schattman, R., Roesch-McNally, G., Wiener, S., Niles, M.T., Hollinger, D. (2018). Farm service agency employee intentions to use weather and climate data in professional services. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, 1-10. doi:10.1017/S1742170517000783
- Niles, M.T., Garrett, R., Walsh, D*. (2018). Ecological and economic benefits and challenges for integrating sheep into viticulture production. Published online December 19, 2017. Agronomy for Sustainable Development. 38: 1. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13593-017-0478-y
- Kross, S., Ingram, K.†, Long, R., Niles, M.T. (2018). Farmer perceptions and behaviors related to wildlife and on-farm conservation actions. Conservation Letters. 11:e12364. doi:10.1111/conl.12364
- Niles, M.T., and Brown, M. (2017). A multi-country assessment of factors related to smallholder food security in varying rainfall conditions. Scientific Reports. 7:16277
- Niles, M.T. and Courtney Hammond-Wagner. Farmers seek local solutions for California water management and the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act. (2017). Published online September 8, 2017.Special issue of California Agriculture on “California’s Sustainable Groundwater Management Act”. https://doi.org/10.3733/ca.2017a0040
- Garrett, R., Niles, M.T, Gil, J., Gaudin, A., Chaplin-Kramer, B., Assman, A., Assman, T., Brewer, K., de Faccio Carvalho, P.C., Cortner, O., Dynes, R., Garbach, K., Kebreab, E., Mueller, N., Reis, J. C., Snow, V.,Valentim, J. (2017). Social and ecological analysis of integrated crop livestock systems: Current knowledge and remaining uncertainty. Agricultural Systems, 155: 136-146.
- Kross, S., Ingram, K., Long, R., Niles, M.T. (2017). Drivers of farmer perceptions of wildlife and on-farm conservation actions. Published online April 24, 2017. Conservation Letters. DOI: 10.1111/conl.12364
- Garrett, R., Niles, M.T., Gil, J., Dy, P., Ferreira, J., Reis, J., Valentim, J. (2017). Re-integrating crop and livestock systems: A comparative policy analysis. Sustainability, 9: 473.
- Niles, M.T. and N. Mueller. (2016). Farmer perceptions of climate change: Associations with observed temperature and precipitation trends, irrigation, and climate beliefs. Global Environmental Change, 39: 133-142.
- Niles, M.T., Brown, M., Dynes, R. (2016). Farmer's intended and actual adoption of climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies. Climatic Change, 135: 277-295.
- Prokopy, L., Arbuckle, J., Barnes, A. Haden, V.R. Hogan, A, Niles, M.T., Tyndall, J. (2015). Farmers and climate change: A cross-national comparison of belief and risk perceptions in developed countries. Environmental Management, 56: 492-504
Associations and Affiliations
- Board of Directors, Public Library of Science (PLoS)
- Ecological Society of America
- American Dairy Science Association
- Tri-Societies (Agronomy, Crop and Soil Science Societies)
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Food security and climate change, food policy and farmer decision-making
- PhD, Ecology, University of California, Davis, 2014
- BA, Political Science, Honors in Environmental Studies, The Catholic University of America, 2005
350 MLS Carrigan Wing
- NFS 113: Food Policy and Politics
- FS 340: Food Systems, Science and Policy