Farryl Bertmann is a lecturer in the UVM Nutrition and Food Sciences Department. Farryl is passionate about exploring ways to connect low-income, vulnerable community members to healthy, sustainable, nourishing food. When not on campus, you may find Farryl cheering at soccer games, skiing, enjoying Lake Champlain with her family, volunteering in her rural community, or running.
- Smith T, Bertmann FMW, Pinard CA, Schober DJ, Fricke H, Shuval K, Nguyen BT, Yaroch AL. Factors associated with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program participation among the working poor: findings from 2012 American Community Survey. J Hunger & Environmental Nutrition (in press)
- Bertmann FMW, Yaroch AL. The role of Breast Milk and Breastfeeding within the Context of a Sustainable, Resilient Food System. J Hunger & Environmental Nutrition. 2016; [Epub ahead of print]
- Bertmann FMW, Fricke HE, Carpenter L, Schober DJ, Smith T, Pinard C, Yaroch AL. A workplace farmstand pilot programme in Omaha, Nebraska, USA. Public Health Nutr. 2015;May 28:1-5 [Epub ahead of print]
- Nguyen BT, Shuval K, Bertmann FMW, Yaroch AL. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Food Insecurity, Dietary Quality, and Obesity Among US Adults. Am J Public Health. 2015;105(7):1453-1459.
- Bertmann FMW, Barroso C, Ohri-Vachaspati P, Hampl JS, Sell K, Wharton, CM. Attitudes, Perceptions, and Barriers to Arizona WIC CVV: a qualitative exploration of fruit and vegetable purchases across four categories of WIC participants. JNEB. 2014;46(35):S53-S58 (WIC supplement)
- Buman MP, Bertmann FMW, Hekler EB, Winter SJ, Sheats JL, King AC, Wharton CW. A Qualitative Study of Shoppers’ Experiences at an Urban Farmers’ Market using the Stanford Healthy Neighborhood Discovery Tool. Public Health Nutr. 2014:1-7.
- Sawyer BJ, Bhammar DM, Angadi SS, Ryan DM, Ryder JR, Sussman EJ, Bertmann FMW, Gaesser GA. Predictors of fat mass changes in response to aerobic exercise training in women. JSCR. 2015;Feb 29(2):297-304.
- Fricke HE, Hughes A, Schober DJ, Pinard C, Bertmann FMW, Smith T, Carpenter L, Yaroch AL. An Examination of Organizational and Statewide Needs to Increase Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Participation. JHEN 2015;10(2):271-283.
- Bertmann FMW, Barroso C, Ohri-Vachaspati P, Hampl JS, Sell K, Wharton, CM. A Study Assessing Perceptions and Attitudes Towards Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children Cash Value Vouchers Among Spanish-Speaking Participants in Arizona. JAND. 2014;114(9):A12.
- Bertmann FMW, Ohri-Vachaspati P, Buman MP, Wharton CM. Implementation of wireless terminals at farmers markets: impact on SNAP redemption and overall sales. Am J Public Health. 2012;102(7):e53-e55.
Awards and Recognition
2016 recipient of Vermont Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (VAND) Dietetics Educator of the year award
Associations and Affiliations
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Vermont Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Hunger and Environmental Nutrition Dietetics Practice Group
- American Public Health Association
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Public health nutrition, food security and associated policy formation
- PhD, Physical Activity, Nutrition and Wellness, Arizona State University, 2013
- MS, Applied Biology, Arizona State University, 2009
- MA, German, Arizona State University, 2004
- BS, Wildlife Biology, University of Vermont, 2000
253 MLS Carrigan Wing