Lisa Chase is a Natural Resources Specialist with University of Vermont Extension, where she has focused on recreation and tourism enterprises since 2002. She became the Director of the Vermont Tourism Research Center in July of 2004. Prior to working in Vermont, Lisa conducted research and outreach in New York, Colorado, Costa Rica and Ecuador, among other places.
Extension Professor / Director, Vermont Tourism Research Center
- Kelsey, A., L.C. Chase, and A. Long. 2019. Recreation Economies and Sustainable Tourism: Mountain Biking at Kingdom Trails in Vermont. In N.L. Vaugeois, M. Phillips, D. Arbogast, and P. Brouder (eds.), Innovative and Promising Practices in Sustainable Tourism, Vancouver Island University, Vancouver. http://dx.doi.org/10.25316/IR-8981
- Smith, D., W. Wang, L.C. Chase, H. Estrin, and J. Van Soelen Kim. 2019. Perspectives from the Field: Adaptions in CSA Models in Response to Changing Times in the U.S. Sustainability, 11(11), 3115. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11113115
- Chakrabarti, A., L. Chase, A. Strong, and S. Swallow. 2019. Making Markets for Private Provision of Ecosystem Services: The Bobolink Project. Ecosystem Services 37 100936. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2019.100936
- Chase, L.C., M. Stewart, B. Schilling, R. Smith, and M. Walk. 2018. Agritourism: A Conceptual Framework for Industry Analysis. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development (JAFSCD). https://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2018.081.016
- Brown, L.E., J. MacDonald, L.C. Chase, G. Sewake, B.J. Stencel, A. Northrop, M. Kelly, and R. Faulkner. 2018. Foundations and Applications of Theory in the First Impressions Program. Journal of Extension 56(1)1FEA7. https://www.joe.org/joe/2018february/a7.php
- Kuentzel, W.F., J.J. Daigle, L.C. Chase, and T.L. Brown. 2018. The Social Amplification of Risk and Landowner Liability Fear in the U.S. Northern Forest. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism (21):51-60.
- Chase, L.C. 2018. Agritourism and quality-of-life for farmers. Page 337-357 in A.M. Campón-Cerro, J.M. Hernández-Mogollón and J.A. Folgado-Fernández (eds.), Best Practices in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing and Management: A Quality-of-Life Perspective. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Chase, L.C. 2017. Agritourism. In L. Lowry and J. G. Golson (eds.), The SAGE International Encyclopedia of Travel and Tourism. SAGE Publications Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Kuehn, D., L.C. Chase, and T. Sharkey. 2017. Adapting to climate change: Perceptions of maple producers in New York and Vermont. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development (JAFSCD). https://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2017.073.020
- Chase, L.C. and V. Grubinger. 2014. Food, Farms, and Community: Exploring Food Systems. University of New Hampshire Press, Durham, New Hampshire.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Nature-based tourism, agritourism, community development, environmental conflict resolution
- Ph.D. in Natural Resource Management and Policy from Cornell University
- M.S. in Resources Economics from Cornell University
- B.A. in Economics from the University of Michigan
UVM Extension Office, 130 Austine Drive, Suite 300, Brattleboro, VT 05301-7040