Spring 2021: Internships & Research Opportunities
The Rubenstein School is currently supporting both in-person and remote credit-bearing internships for the Spring 2021 semester. Remote internships are strongly recommended, but in-person experiences are currently being supported. Students pursuing credit for research experiences should contact the faculty member or graduate student they're working with to discuss remote/in-person work.
Prior to the start of any in-person internship or research, COVID-19 forms must be completed:
- Students need to complete an Experiential Learning Plan which includes a COVID 19 checklist.
- All internship site supervisors need to complete two COVID-related forms.
- UVM Research supervisors do not need to complete the two COVID-related forms.
No in-person internship or research can start until these forms have been submitted.
Funding for spring internships and research is still available through the Rubenstein Internship Fund.
We are making decisions that prioritize student health and safety amidst the changing circumstances related to COVID-19.
Support: The Rubenstein Internship Program provides a formal structure for students pursuing career-related internships and research experiences. Interns are supervised and supported by professionals in the field, a RSENR faculty member, and RSENR Career Counselor & Internship Coordinator Anna Smiles-Becker. Appointments can be made via email Anna.Smiles-Becker@uvm.edu or by phone at 802-656-3002.
Explore Internships: It is never too early to start!
- Useful websites for your internship search
- Handshake: UVM’s platform for connecting students to employers, job and internship opportunities, career resources, event information, and more.
- Rubenstein Perennial Summer Internship Program: Provides valuable summer internship opportunities for a select group of students with environmental companies and organizations. Learn how to apply.
Obtain Credit: Internship credit needs to be arranged PRIOR to the start of an internship. Please follow the steps below. Contact Anna Smiles-Becker if you have further questions.
- Review these Rubenstein School Internship Guidelines (PDF)
- Review this information on Academic Deliverables by Credit (PDF).
- After reviewing the above documents, please fill out this Experiential Learning Plan.
Apply for Funding:
- Kate Svitek Memorial Award: Provides funding to RSENR students pursuing internships related to outdoor leadership or environmental education. Learn more about the Kate Svitek Memorial Award.
- Rubenstein School Internship Fund: Provides funding to RSENR students (priority given to first year and sophomore students) pursuing unpaid or under paid, credit-bearing internship/research experiences. Learn more about the Rubenstein School Internship Fund.