Student works with faculty in lab

As a UVM undergraduate student, you can begin working toward your master's degree through the Rubenstein School's Accelerated Master's Program (AMP) in Natural Resources.


Why is the AMP in Natural Resources a good choice for you?

Do you want to save time and money on your path to an advanced degree?

Our AMP curriculum is identical to the Master’s in Natural Resources curriculum and requirements, but 9 credits are double-counted towards both the Master’s and your undergraduate degree. These courses must be graded (A-F grades) and approved for graduate credit, AND you must have been accepted into the AMP program. The credits cannot be independent study, research, internship, or practicum credits. This is effectively a 9-credit scholarship for the 30-credit graduate program.

The Rubenstein School will provide a tuition scholarship of 15% during the academic year after students have matriculated in the graduate program. This scholarship will apply to the remaining required 21 graduate credits and are the financial responsibility of the student. Students enrolled in the summer term will receive a 30% discount on tuition. In all cases, students will be classified as either in-state or out-of-state residents for tuition purposes under the University of Vermont’s Board of Trustees Residency Regulations

AMP students may not hold graduate assistantships. They may, however, be paid an hourly wage from a research grant and/or receive a scholarship from gift funds.

M.S. in Natural Resources

The Rubenstein School offers a Master's of Science degree in Natural Resources. As a multi-disciplinary academic unit, the School strives to integrate disparate disciplines to enhance knowledge and develop solutions to an array of environmental issues. Faculty expertise includes forestry, wildlife biology, recreation management, aquatic sciences, watershed management, environmental sciences, environmental philosophy, sociology, policy, planning, economics, and conflict resolution.


  • Students must apply for and be accepted to the AMP through the standard UVM graduate application process.
  • The program is only open to currently enrolled University of Vermont students from any program on campus.
  • Students must have an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher.

How to Apply

  1. Students often apply in the Fall semester of their Junior year, preferably by November 1, to start the following Spring semester; however, applications are accepted year-round.
  2. Students must identify and have a commitment from a Rubenstein School Graduate Faculty to serve as their Graduate Program Advisor (often their undergraduate mentor).
  3. It is recommended that students work with their undergraduate advisor to map out the semesters and the courses they plan to take to fulfill both their undergraduate and graduate portions of their final semesters as undergraduates.
  4. Honors College students should also make an appointment to meet with their Honors advisor to plan out their remaining HCOL requirements.
  5. Students must obtain their undergraduate Dean’s office signature on the Accelerated Master’s Degree Permission Form, which can be found on the right column of the UVM AMP information page. For all RSENR students with the exception of ENVS students, contact Jennifer Pontius. For ENVS, contact Ben Langton and then Jennifer Pontius.
  6. Students meet with the Graduate Program coordinator to chat and get the remaining Graduate Program Director signature on the permission form.
  7. Students submit application with a signed UVM AMP permission form to the Graduate College through the standard UVM graduate application process.

What We Consider

  • The commitment of a Rubenstein School Graduate Faculty member to serve as your main advisor.
  • A Statement of Purpose within the application explaining why the AMP is a good option for you and how you have demonstrated the ability to perform at the graduate level.
  • Your UVM undergraduate transcript with a GPA of 3.00 or higher.
  • Three letters of recommendation submitted with the application.
  • No Graduate Record Exam (GRE) required.