Steps to Ensure Access to Necessary Systems and Facilities at UVM
The instructions below are intended for new faculty and staff employees only. Temporary Wage Employees as well as Funded Graduate Students will work with their supervisors/advisors on their specific needs.
STEP 1: Sign your appointment letter and return it to your supervisor.
STEP 2: Complete the following paperwork and return it with your signed appointment letter or provide it to the Rubenstein School Business Service Center:
- New Employee Form (PDF)
- Form I-9 (PDF) To open this form, right click and click "save link as" and save to your documents or desktop. Then open and complete page one of the form. Form I-9 must be completed if you have never worked for UVM. (If you are a rehire, a recertification maybe possible). This form requires the new hire to bring original identification (as outlined in the form's instruction pages) to be reviewed by a certified I-9 representative. The Rubenstein School Business Service Center in Aiken 314 and representatives in the Central HR Office are certified. You may not use copies of identification forms; they must be originals. UVM I-9 Operating Procedure (PDF)
STEP 3: Once you have signed and returned your appointment/offer letter, you will receive a welcome email from the Assistant Director for Business Operations, RSENR Human Resources. Once you are set up in PeopleSoft you will be registered for New Employee Enrollment and will receive information via an email from the Assistant Director for Business Operations. If you do not receive an email, please contact Kathleen Wells as soon as possible. You are responsible for letting your supervisor know which days you will be attending.
- New faculty are required to register for Faculty Orientation on-line. Orientation is held in August of each year and instructions are included in your appointment letter.
- New staff are also required to attend orientation which is normally held on a Monday and your first day of employment.
STEP 4: Locate your name in the UVM Directory. The Rubenstein School Business Service Center will send all required paperwork to the UVM Human Resource Office to set you up in the systems. You will know when you have been entered into the system by navigating to the UVM Directory, entering your name in the Search box, and getting your name as a result. (Note: The process of updating the Directory with a new employee can take several days or weeks depending on your official start date).
STEP 5: Once you are listed in the UVM Directory, you can activate your UVM Net.id. You will activate your net.id by going to Enterprise Technology Services. This will take you through the process of activating your net.id and assigning yourself a password. You now have access to your UVM email and systems.
STEP 6: Have your supervisor lead you through the following processes:
- CATcard (this is your UVM ID and your key access to many buildings)
- Facility Access
- Office location (equipment and furnishing needs)
- Business Support Person (Purcards, Driver Certification, financial transactions, etc.)
- Addition to Rubenstein School online faculty/staff directory (contact Shari Halik)
STEP 7: For your Business Service needs, please use the Rubenstein School Business Service Center website pages for advice and guidance on finances, human resources, grants management, forms, and PeopleSoft basics and always feel free to contact any of the Business Service Center staff for help.