The University of Vermont has outlined roles and responsibilities related to Grants Management of Sponsored Projects throughout the life-cycle of a grant. Please review these roles and responsibilities and contact your Rubenstein Business Service Center contact with any questions.
- I am a Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator on a Grant.
- I am an administrative staff person who supports the Principal Investigator for their business or administrative needs.
- Roles and Responsibilities for all others can be found at the Sponsored Program Administration site.
There are three fundamental principles that we should all understand in terms of our roles and responsibilities:
- Responsibility includes the authority to make a decision and the accountability associated with that decision.
- To the extent possible, responsibility should be maintained locally within administrative units (Schools, Colleges, Departments, and Centers), so that decisions are made by individuals with the best information. In the research context, this means that these administrative units are responsible for compliance with all laws and regulations governing human, animal, basic science, and applied research. Financially this means if an inappropriate transaction is approved at the administrative unit or departmental level, the department accepts the fiscal responsibility for that transaction.
- Oversight responsibility should be separate from the unit that makes the decisions.