These major requirements may be used by students who entered UVM prior to fall 2016. For the new major requirements, please refer to the current major in English.
- The English Major requires a minimum of 33 hours (11 classes) and a maximum of 45 hours (15 classes), with at least 21 hours (7 classes) at the 100 level or above.
- Majors must take English 86: Critical Approaches to Literature, preferably in their sophomore year.*
- No more than 9 hours of advanced writing (ENGS 117-120 and FTS 144 and 145) may count towards the major.
- Up to 9 hours of Film and Television Studies (FTS) at any level may count towards the major.
- Up to 3 hours of World Literature (WLIT) may count toward the major.
At the 100 level, majors must take at least 3 hours (1 class) in each of these categories:
- A: The English language, creative writing, rhetoric and composition, critical theory, and cultural studies (ENGS 101-120, ENGS 201-212 and all FTS courses)
- B: Ancient medieval, 16th, and 17th-century literary traditions (ENGS 131-140, ENGS 221-222)
- C: 18th and 19th-century literary traditions (ENGS 141-160, ENGS 241-242)
- D: 20th and 21st-century literary traditions (ENGS 161-190, ENGS 251-252)
In the senior year, majors must complete a 200-level senior seminar, which may also fulfill one of the four categories above.
*Please note: For both new and old major requirements, ENGS 086 can count as ENGS 100 and vice versa.
Cannot be paired with a minor in English or Writing.