How To: Financials - Travel & Expense Reimbursement
How to obtain reimbursement for an expense that I've incurred personally (travel expenses and other purchases):
If you have personally paid for UVM travel related expenses or other purchases, you may be eligible to be reimbursed by the university. The information must be submitted into the PeopleSoft financials system. There are many UVM policies and federal regulations that must be adhered to when traveling on UVM and grant business. Please plan ahead and take time to read through this section so that you are aware of your responsibilities when traveling and to ensure that you are reimbursed for expenses in a timely manner.
- If the individual being reimbursed is not employed by the University: Go to Pay a Vendor
- I am employed by the University: Faculty, staff, and student employees are reimbursed for expenses incurred through the PeopleSoft system using the Travel and Expense module under PeopleSoft Financials. Below are specific instructions for each status.
- Student - Students, who have employment status, are required to create an expense report in PeopleSoft for reimbursement (please use the steps outlined in this section under Staff). There is an exception to this requirement listed in the UVM travel policy under Section II (Eligible Travelers). Please take a few minutes to review Section II.3, which outlines when you may have to be reimbursed through Student Financial Services. During the expense report review process, Kathleen will make this determination based on the reimbursement request. RSENR has specific instructions for that process on our website under Payment of a Scholarship or Award to a Student.
- Expense reports must be submitted within 60 days of the last day of travel. Justification for missing this deadline may be required. Expense reports received after 90 days will not be reimbursed.
- Original, itemized receipts are required for all expense reimbursement requests
- In the event you were unable to obtain an itemized receipt, please complete the receipt substitution form and submit it with your documentation (there is no guarantee the Controller's Office will approve this expense for reimbursement and it may be removed from your expense report).
- If you lost your receipt, you will need to contact the vendor and get a replacement receipt.
- Meal reimbursements (individuals) are only honored if travel required at least one overnight stay. Business meals (see policy below) may be reimbursed for single day travel.
- UVM reimburses for travel meals using an "allowance" method. Individuals are allowed to spend up to $60/day on personal meals. However, reimbursement will be made at the actual cost based on original, itemized receipts. UVM does not use the "per diem" method.
- Alcohol is not allowed for reimbursement and should be paid for with personal funds. If an alcohol charge is on your receipt, please highlight it and do not request reimbursement. The only exception is when a business meal has alcohol approved in advance by the Provost. To obtain pre-approval for alcohol please use the Alcohol Approval form easily located in the future under the RSENR Business Service Center Forms menu. This form requires information that can be obtained by contacting the RSENR Business Service Center staff and also requires the Dean signature. (Note: Alcohol cannot be purchased with a Purcard).
- If a traveler chooses to decline a meal that is offered at a conference as part of the conference fee, the traveler must assume the cost (exceptions will be granted with justification; a necessary business meal, for example).
- Other Helpful Information:
- More information concerning International Travel
- I need to request Faculty Professional Development Funding for this travel. The Faculty Services office of the RSENR requires pre-approval for use of Professional Development Funds. You may request these funds by completing the professional development request for funding form and submitting it to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. If approved, please provide the approval email to the Business Service Center as part of your documentation for reimbursement.
- I need a cash advance for this trip. (Please process at least two weeks in advance of travel as this will allow General Accounting and the departmental approver adequate time for normal processing and additional time to submit in case problems arise.
- Rather than use personal funds and submit for reimbursement, I would prefer to use my UVM purcard. The university strongly recommends that you use your Purcard when traveling whenever possible. For more information on obtaining a purcard and your responsibilities associated with the purcard please go to How to: Purcards.
- What is a business meal?
Related UVM Policy: (Prior to any travel, employee should read the following policies)
- Travel policy
- RSENR Business Processes related to travel policy
- Business Meal and Amenity
- Automobile Rental
- Travel Accident Insurance
Last modified February 12 2013 12:30 PM