Buttons - thank a veteran

How VA Benefits Work at UVM

Become a UVM Student

Apply for VA Education Benefits

Register for classes

  • Use: myUVM Portal > Registrar > My Classes > Add/Drop/Withdrawal
  • Work with an academic advisor (highly recommended) Use: myUVM > Advising (Degree Audit) > Academic Profile

Submit a Request for Enrollment Certification (REC)

Each term after registering for classes (myUVM > Veterans > “Request for Enrollment Certification”)

  • UVM will send your enrollment information to VA electronically as a form 22-1999
  • Student Financial Services will adjust your financial aid award to include VA benefits
  • If eligible your bill will be adjusted to the in-state tuition rate for that term
  • View and agree to the Statement of Understanding



Education Benefits

VA has many education benefit programs under different Chapters of law, collectively referred to as the “GI Bill ®”.

The most popular at UVM is the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. Often veterans begin using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and transition to Vocational Readiness and Employment if they receive a VA Service Connected Disability Rating. In all cases, you can only use VA benefits for courses that will apply to your degree or certificate program, or if you are a PACE student courses that will apply to your program once admitted.

Students using GI Bill® benefits may be billed at the in-state tuition rate

Additional benefits are available to members of the Vermont National Guard, through the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC). Service members are advised to work with their Education Officer and VSAC directly for Federal Tuition Assistance or the Vermont National Guard Tuition Benefit Program. 


Benefit Payments in common enrollment scenarios


Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

What benefits does the Post-9/11 GI Bill® include?

The full amount of in-state tuition for UVM, comprehensive fee, and individual course fees, at your eligibility tier (e.g. 100%, 90%, etc. found on your Certificate of Eligiblity or VA.gov)

  • UVM bills some eligible VA students at the in-state rate even if they are classified as out-of-state students. To qualify, covered individuals must live in VT and be using Chapter 30, 31, 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill®, or Chapter 35 DEA benefits, including transfer of entitlement for eligible dependents, for the semester they are billed in-state. Request enrollment certification in the myUVM Portal in order to keep your in-state rate, or have your bill changed from the out-of-state rate to the in-state rate.

    See the University Operating Procedure for details

A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) based on UVM's address
  • MHA is set by VA based on DoD BAH for E-5 with dependents and is prorated for your rate of pursuit (based on enrolled credit hours, which must be greater than half time), the start and end date of term, and where a majority of your classes are taken.
  • Online students recieve a different rate, which is set to half the national average.
  • Check the GI Bill® Comparison Tool for more information and review your Award Letter from VA for your MHA rate.

Up to 36 months of education benefits
  • See your Certificate of Eligibility sent by VA or request a new one at VA.gov
  • A percentage-of-maximum-benefit scale based on how much active service you’ve had since September 10, 2001



Example 1 - If you had at least 18 months of active service but not 24 months since September 10, 2001, you would qualify for 70% of the maximum amount. Three years of active duty service would qualify you for 100%.

Example 2 - A student eligible for Chapter 33 at 60% would receive 60% of in-state tuition and fees paid to UVM and would be responsible for paying UVM the balance (40%) of their bill plus any additional items VA doesn’t pay, such as a parking pass or meal plan. That same student would receive 60% of the maximum Monthly Housing Allowance, and 60% of the maximum books and supplies stipend.

VA will send you a letter in the mail detailing what they will pay and why, also viewable on VA.gov. If you have questions, send a copy of your VA award letter to veterans@uvm.edu and we can schedule a call or drop in time.

Chapter 31 - Vocational Readiness & Employment

Requires service connection at 10%, 20% or greater and entitlement found with VRE counselor. Contact veterans@uvm.edu for a referral and introduction to a counselor, or apply on VA.gov.

Pays all tuition and fees, a housing stipend based on Chapter 33 (if eligible) or subsistence allowance.

Books and supplies authorized by your VRE counselor and purchased at the UVM bookstore, which are required for your program, are billed to VA by UVM on your behalf. 

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve

For current National Guard / Reserve members

You must send UVM a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from your unit or command. MGIB-SR pays a monthly stipend based on credit hours you are enrolled in.



Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)

Eligible dependents can receive Chapter 33 entitlement from a sponsor, usually a parent. The sponsor must transfer entitlement to their dependent on DoD MilConnect.

Once that transfer is complete, the dependent must then claim the benefit from VA by applying on VA.gov and completing form 22-1990E (electronically is best). 

Follow the prompts on VA.gov: VA Benefits and Health Care > Education and Training > How to apply.

Send a copy of your Certificate of Eligiblity (or VA.gov screenshot) to Veterans@uvm.edu

Parent's / Proxies of VA students please view VA Parent / Proxy Information


Payments for dependents are different from Veterans in two main ways:

  • Dependents generally have until their 26th birthday to use benefits.
  • Benefits will be prorated to the exact start and end date of a term, VA will not pay for the remainder of a term when benefits are exhausted.
  • Benefits may not be prorated for the last of the original 36 months one sponsor has transferred.

Chapter 35 – Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA)

Dependents under age 26 whose parent or spouse is deceased or 100% permanently disabled, MIA, or a POW, apply on VA.gov and complete form 22-5490 Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits

Follow the prompts on VA.gov: VA Benefits and Health Care > Education and Training > How to apply.

Students using Chapter 35 must provide their sponsor's SSN/VA File Number to UVM in order to use benefits. Please don't email your sponsor's SSN, provide it in person or leave it as a secure voice message at 802-656-0581.

CHAMPVA provides VA health benefits to eligible dependents and requires separate enrollment verification. Contact veterans@uvm.edu to request a CHAMPVA healthcare college enrollment verification be sent to CHAMPVA office in Colorado.

Note that CHAMPVA only accepts verifications directly from the school by fax



green square In-State Rate / Yellow Ribbon Scholarship

Federal law requires that individuals using certain VA education benefits or who are ordered to a duty station in Vermont be charged tuition at the in-state rate if they meet the eligibility requirements outlined below, even if they are classified by the school as out-of-state residents for tuition purposes. The law does not change your residency status, only your tuition rate while eligible or using benefits.

To be eligible for the in-state rate you must meet the requirements of either law, outlined below.

To qualify, covered individuals must live in VT and be using Chapter 30, 31, 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill®, or Chapter 35 DEA benefits, including transfer of entitlement for eligible dependents, for the semester they are billed in-state. 

In-State Rate

GI Bill® Resident Rate Requirements

All eligible students must live in Vermont while attending UVM and use benefits for the semester they are billed in-state tuition

Higher Education Opportunity Act

HEOA application (PDF)

Active Duty

Members of the Armed Forces on active duty for a period of more than 30 days, spouses or dependents of such members whose domicile or permanent duty station is in Vermont please apply and provide:

  • Current orders
  • Most recent taxes
National Guard & Reserves

Members of the National Guard or Reserves who are on active duty under Title 10 orders for a period of more than 30 days, excluding a basic training assignment, or spouses or dependents of such members who are domiciled in Vermont please apply and provide:

See a full list of supporting documentation that is required with your HEOA application (PDF)


Yellow Ribbon (Not applicable if you are eligble for the in-state rate, as above)

UVM is proud to offer Yellow Ribbon Scholarships to all eligible undergraduate out-of-state Chapter 33 students, and some Graduate or Larner College of Medicine students. Using the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship may require repackaging of your financial aid. Contact Student Financial Services for details.



Approved Programs

VA education benefits can be used for approved programs of education. All UVM degree programs are currently approved for benefits by the VT State Approving Agency. Non-degree or certificate programs sometimes require special approval.

Select VT: University of Vermont > Programs >
IHL (for degree programs)
OR NCD (for non-degree programs)

By the Numbers

UVM students using VA benefits earned almost $500,000 in matched scholarship dollars in financial aid year 2016-2017.




Related Links

  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E Chapter 31)
  1. email veterans@uvm.edu for an introduction to a VR&E Counselor in Vermont
  2. file your application