The Grounds Crew is responsible for maintaining over 450 acres of the campus including 200 acres of trees, shrubs, and turf, 2,500 trees, 39 acres of parking lots, 9 miles of roads, and 15 miles of walkways.
What We Do
Duties include care of all trees, shrubs, horticulture and turf which entails mowing, trimming, weeding, planting, pruning, mulching, seeding, fertilization, watering, and leaf removal. Winter duties include all snow removal, snow plowing and salting/sanding of all parking lots, sidewalks, and roadways.
Summer and Seasonal Employment
Students! Like to get your hands dirty? The Grounds crew may have summer or seasonal opportunities to work with horticultural and grounds maintenance crews. For more information, email Mike Dubois, UVM Grounds Manager. Jobs for UVM students are typically posted through the UVM Student Employment Office.
Our Steps Towards Sustainability
- We practice Integrated Pest Management or IPM
- We use native, zone hardy site-specific plants
- We limit irrigation to athletic fields and the main Campus Green only
- We use mulching mowers and don't bag grass clippings from lawn mowing.
- We use Liquid Deicers to pretreat walkways and roadways in winter to reduce the use of road salt.