The Assignment Tool allows instructors to create a “drop box” for each assignment into which students can submit their completed work. Submitted assignments are automatically attached to a Grade Center column.
Create an Assignment
- Open any content area page, such as Course Materials.
- Select Assessments > Assignment from the options at the top of the page.
- Fill out the assignment name, instructions for students, and enter the points possible for later grading.
- Click Submit.
Create a Group Assignment
First, you’ll need to have Blackboard groups set up (see this page). Then you create the assignment in a content area page, such as course materials. Under Grading on the assignment page, choose Submission Details (see image). From this area, choose Group Submission, select one or all groups on the left and click the small arrow to move the selections to the right (see image). Proceed with the rest of your assignment options.
Note that only one person in the group needs to submit the file. When you grade it, the grade will be automatically shared with everyone in the group. You can edit a particular student’s grade if needed.
Student submissions automatically appear in the Grade Center, and most submitted file-types can be viewed and graded in the browser. To grade an assignment:
- Go to Control Panel > Grade Center > Assignments.
- Click the grey menu button next to the column name you wish to grade, and select Grade Attempts.
- To enter a grade for the submission, type the score into the Attempt box. Feedback can be provided by clicking the blue bar beneath the Attempt box, then entering feedback into the box under Grader Feedback.
- If you wish to upload a file to a student, click on the paperclip icon in the feedback field (with the blue bar expanded). Browse your computer to select a file and click Submit.
- If you wish to record audio or video feedback, click on the A in the feedback box to expand the text editor. From there, select the microphone icon on the bottom, left row of options. Follow the on-screen instructions to record feedback to the student (with or without video enabled).
- Click Submit to save the grade and move on to the next students submission.