Custodial Services cleans all offices and departmentally managed conference rooms one time per week on a rotating schedule. Deskside trash and recycling containers are not serviced or supplied with trash liners. Occupants are responsible for emptying their own trash and recycling into hallway containers.
All UVM staff assigned an office space are expected to bring their own trash and recycle to public collection areas (hallway bins). Custodial Services does not provide trash cans. Departments are responsible for purchasing their own trash container for their office. UVM Recycling does supply deskside recycling bins. Email email@example.com to request a container.
Custodial staffs are routinely responsible for:
- General cleaning on a daily basis of public areas to include: patios, entryways, hallways, restrooms, lounges, event spaces, classrooms, dining areas, elevators, and stairwells
- Opening classrooms by 8am Monday - Friday
- Weekly cleaning of office spaces
- Weekly cleaning for research lab spaces
- Periodic heavy floor care and window cleaning
- Reporting building and equipment repairs, as noticed while performing our other duties
- Snow removal at building entrances and exits
- Pest and animal control (Handled by PestPro)
- List of routine services (PDF)
General Fund Areas: Academic/Administrative/Athletics
Academic & Administrative buildings that have been serviced on evenings will now be serviced on days (Monday – Friday 5am until 1:30pm). Athletics is serviced nightly seven days a week and and on days Monday though Friday.
- List of Academic & Administrative Building Cleaning Schedule (PDF)
- List by Custodial Supervisor (PDF)
- Work Group Zone Map (PDF)
Academic/Administrative/Athletics Service Hours
Year round, Custodial Services Department provides staffing during three (3) shifts. Day shift is 5:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Monday - Friday. Evening shift policing support is 2:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. on Monday - Friday. Night shift is 10:00 p.m.to 6:30 a.m. on Sunday - Thursday. Weekend coverage is provided to Howe & Dana Libraries, open food service areas, and special events.
Residential Life/Davis Center
The Residential Life and and Davis Center areas of campus are governed under MOU's with those departments. At a minimum, they receive the same level of services as the other areas of campus.
Residential Life/Davis Center Service Hours
Residential Life Academic Year
During the academic year, all residence halls are staffed and serviced by Custodial Services Department Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Exception: Living & Learning Complex is staffed Monday through Friday from 5:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
On weekends, basic services of trash removal, restroom support and dining hall support are provided Saturdays and Sundays from 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 pm.
Residential Life Summer Hours
Custodial Services Department staffing is based on building usage. This is determined by the scheduling of customers from Conference & Events Services.
The Davis Center is staffed and serviced by Custodial Services Department on a 24/7 basis on normal days of operation.
In the fall of 2011 the Custodial Services Department surveyed the UVM lab community to asses safety and customer service needs. Custodial Services used this information to modify the service levels in research labs in a way which will maintain both safety and cleanliness. In March 2013 Custodial Services began working with the Deans' offices to establish a communication protocol to convey this service change to the research community.
In FY14 research labs moved from daily service to a weekly rotational service. Additionally, Custodial Services will no longer empty uncontaminated waste and recyclable materials from the labs. The research community will be responsible for bringing this waste to central locations in public areas.
Custodial Services provides; paper towels, soap, hand sanitizer, and waste can liners to the research lab community.
The weekly cleaning consists of:
- Dust mop floors
- Damp mop floors to remove dirt and non-hazardous spills
- Dust and spot-clean all horizontal and vertical surfaces (including fire extinguishers, thermostats,
- chair railings, baseboards, windows and window sills, etc.)
- Refill and dust/spot-clean paper towel and soap dispensers
- Spot-clean carpet using approved equipment and supplies, as applicable
- Vacuum all carpeted areas from wall to wall, as applicable
Scheduled Project Cleaning consists of:
- Dust or vacuum air vents to remove loose dust, soil, and cobwebs
- Strip and refinish floors, apply 3 coats of approved floor finish
- Hot-water-extract carpeted areas using approved equipment and supplies
- Machine scrub hard surface floors
- Dust light fixtures to remove exterior dust and cobwebs
Custodians should not touch chairs, work benches, equipment, supplies, computers, personal items, or any lab research items.
Research Labs Service Hours
Custodial work hours in research areas are Monday to Friday from 5am to 1:30pm.
Custodial Services IBB Outline
The Custodial Services Department provides the University of Vermont with high quality cleaning services and event coverage in a cost effective, environmentally friendly, and efficient manner. Our best practice prioritize health, safety, and customer satisfaction. Our mission is to “Provide the university with a clean and safe environment in which to live, learn, and work”.
Routine Services focus on the general facilities upkeep and maintenance requirements for hygiene, cleanliness, and physical appearance due to daily use and on-going facilities operations.
Emergency Needs should be directed through Service Operations Support at 656-2560 and select Option #1.
Non-Emergency Needs can be submitted on-line via Famis for General Fund building and the Davis Center, or Fix It for a residence hall or through Service Operations Support at 656-2560 and select Option #1.
Pest Management Needs can be submitted on-line via Famis for General Fund building and the Davis Center, or Fix It for a residence hall or through Service Operations Support at 656-2560 and select Option #1.
Event Services are performed on a scheduled basis at the direction of Conference and Event Services on a billable basis through the Event Management System (EMS).
Billable Services are any additional/supplemental service that falls outside of the routine service as defined below and are billable to the requesting department.
An outline of routine services provided by the Custodial Services Department may be found here:
IBB Custodial Outline
Custodial Services is also responsible for the purchase and maintenance of:
- Entryway matting
- Dispensers & product for soap/sanitizer/hand towels/toilet paper
- Unlocking building access doors daily(non Catcard)
- Arranging classroom chairs and assuring accurate count
- Provide chalk/markers/erasers/board cleaner for classrooms
Please feel free to contact Custodial Services directly with any questions or concerns.
Phone is 656-3385
Walk-in Office Hours: 7am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday at the Trinity Campus in Mercy Hall 006.