Dr. Travis Reynolds is an Associate Professor of Community Development and Applied Economics, where he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in food policy, applied economics, and research methods. His research areas include institutional economics, agricultural development, and payments for environmental services, with an emphasis on the links between agriculture, food security, community governance institutions and the environment.
Associate Professor, MPA Program Interim Director
Research and/or Creative Works
Active NSF REU Site: Geographic, Socio-economic, and Cultural Factors Shaping Crop Diversity and Livelihood Outcomes in East Africa:
Previous NSF REU Site: Undergraduate Research into the Cultural, Economic and Ecological Significance of Church Forests in South Gondar, Ethiopia:
- Quella, L., Chase, L., Conner, D., Reynolds, T., Wang, W., Singh-Knights, D. (2021). Visitors and values: A qualitative analysis of agritourism operator motivations across the US. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development. (In Press).
- Otieno, G., Zebrowski, W. M., Recha, J., & Reynolds, T. W. (2021). Gender and social seed networks for climate change adaptation: Evidence from bean, finger millet, and sorghum seed systems in East Africa. Sustainability, 13(4), 2074.
- Caughron, A, Legault, S, Haut, C, Reynolds, TW. (2020). A changing climate in the maple syrup industry: Variation in Canadian and U.S. producers’ climate risk perceptions and willingness to adapt across scales of production. Small-Scale Forestry. 1: 1-23.
- Reynolds, TW, Tobin, D, Otieno, G, McCracken, A, Guo, J. (2020). Differences in crop selection, resource constraints, and crop use values among female- and male-headed smallholder households in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development. 9(4): 1-28.
- Anderson, CL, Reynolds, TW, Biscaye, P, Patwardan, V, Schmidt, C. (2020). Economic benefits of empowering women in agriculture: Assumptions and evidence. Journal of Development Studies, 1-16.
- Wineman, A, Njagi, T, Anderson, CL, Reynolds, TW, Wainaina, P, Njue, E, Biscaye, P, Ayieko, M. (2020). A case of mistaken identity? Measuring rates of improved seed adoption in Tanzania using DNA fingerprinting. Journal of Agricultural Economics, 1: 1-23.
- Wineman, A, Anderson, CL, Reynolds, TW, Biscaye, P. (2019). Methods of crop yield measurement on multi-cropped plots: Examples from Tanzania. Food Security, 1: 1-17.
- Reynolds, TW, Klawitter, M, Biscaye, PE, Anderson, CL. (2018). Mobile money and branchless banking regulations affecting cash-in, cash-out networks in low-and middle-income countries. Gates Open Research, 2: 64-96.
- Cullen, A, Anderson, CL, Biscaye, P, Reynolds, TW. (2018). Variability in cross domain risk perception among smallholder farmers in Mali by gender and other demographic and attitudinal characteristics. Risk Analysis. 38(7):1361–1377.
- Anderson, CL, Reynolds, T, Merfeld, JD, Biscaye, P. (2018). Relating seasonal hunger and prevention and coping strategies: A panel analysis of Malawian farm households. The Journal of Development Studies, 1–19.
- Otieno, GA, Reynolds, TW, Karasapan*, A, Lopez-Noriega, I. (2017). Implications of seed policies for on-farm agrobiodiversity and food security policy in Ethiopia and Uganda. Sustainable Agriculture Research, 6(4): 12–30.
- Reynolds, TW, Staves, K, Shimekach, T, Wassie, A. (2017). Changes in community perspectives on the roles and rules of church forests in northern Ethiopia: Evidence from a panel survey of four Orthodox communities. International Journal of the Commons, 11(1): 355–387.
- Reynolds, TW, Collins, C, Wassie, A, Liang*, J, Briggs*, W, Adamu, E. (2017). Sacred natural sites as mensurative fragmentation experiments in long-inhabited multifunctional landscapes. Ecography, 40(1): 144–157.
- Anderson, CL, Reynolds, TW, Gugerty, MK. (2017). Husband and wife perspectives on farm household decision-making authority and evidence on intra-household accord in rural Tanzania. World Development, 90: 169–183.
- LoTemplio*, S, Reynolds, TW, Wassie, A, Abrahams*, M, Bruesewitz, D, Wall*, J. (2017). Ethiopian Orthodox church forests provide regulating and habitat services: evidence from stream sediment and aquatic insect analyses. African Journal of Ecology. 55(2): 247–251.
- Biscaye, PE, Reynolds, TW, Anderson, CL. (2017). Relative effectiveness of bilateral and multilateral aid on development outcomes. Review of Development Economics, 21(4): 1425–1447.
- Liang*, J, Reynolds, TW, Wassie, A, Collins, C, Wubalem, A. (2016). Effects of exotic Eucalyptus spp. plantations on soil properties in and around sacred natural sites in the northern Ethiopian Highlands. AIMS Agriculture and Food. 1(2): 175–193.
- Reynolds, TW, Waddington, SR, Anderson, CL, Chew, A, True, Z, Cullen, A. (2015). Environmental impacts and constraints associated with the production of major food crops in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. Food Security, 7(4): 795–822.
- McClenachan, L, O’Connor*, G, Reynolds, TW. (2015). Adaptive capacity of co-management systems in the face of environmental change: The soft-shell clam fishery and invasive green crabs in Maine. Marine Policy, 52: 26–32.
- Reynolds, TW, Murray, B, Kolodinsky, J, Howell*, J. (2015). Contrasting self-reported willingness to pay and demonstrated purchase behavior for energy-saving technologies in a small island developing state. Energy for Sustainable Development, 27: 18–27.
Awards and Recognition
Fellow, Gund Institute for Environment
Associations and Affiliations
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
food policy, food security, agricultural development, sustainable agriculture, rural livelihoods
- University of Washington (Ph.D.)
- University of Vermont (M.S.)
- Brown University
- +1 802-656-8115
CDAE 351 - Research Methods
CDAE 392 - Graduate Seminars