Department of Biology
Faculty - C. William Kilpatrick
C. William Kilpatrick, Professor
- Ph.D., North Texas State University, 1973
- North Texas State University, Assistant Professor 73-78
- University of Vermont, Associate Professor 78 - 09
- University of Vermont, Professor 2009 - present
- C.V. (PDF)
Area of expertise
Contact InformationEmail: C. William Kilpatrick
Office Hours: Tues 11:30-12:30, Wed 10-11, Thurs 1-2
Marsh Life Science Building, Rm 305
Phone: (802) 656-0453
My research interests range from population genetics and molecular ecology to molecular systematics. I am especially interested in the role of stochastic evolutionary forces such as genetic drift and founder effect in shaping the genetic structure of populations. Most current work involves the utilization of DNA sequencing and examination of microsatellite variation. For the last nine years, I have worked in Central Asia and much of the current work involves examining the phylogeography of the small mammals of Balauchistan and the mountainous areas of northern Pakistan. I continue to work on peromyscine rodents, with an emphasis on forms of southern Mexico and Central America. I am also continuing work on endemic mammals of the West Indies, with current work focusing on Cuba. Current work of graduate students focuses on the molecular ecology of carnivores (black bears, fisher, and bobcats) at sites reanging from New England to southern Texas.
- Liu, Q., P. Chen, K. He, C.W. Kilpatrick, S-Y. Liu, F. Yu, and X. Jiang. 2012. Phylogeographic study of Apodemus ilex (Rodentia: Muridae) in southwestern China. PLoS ONE, 7(2):e31453.
- Borroto-Paez, R., C.A. Mancina, C.A. Woods, and C.W. Kilpatrick. 2012. Updated checklist of endemic terrestrial mammals of the West Indies. Pp. 389-415, in Terrestrial Mammals of the West Indies Contributions (R. Borroto-Paez, C.A. Woods, and F.E. Sergil, eds.). Florida Museum of Natural History and Wacahooto Press, Gainesville, 482 pp.
- Kilpatrick, C.W., R. Borroto-Paez, and C.A. Woods. 2012. Phylogenetic relationships of recent capromyid rodents: A review and analyses of karyological, biochemical and molecular data. Pp. 51-69, in Terrestrial Mammals of the West Indies Contributions (R. Borroto-Paez, C.A. Woods, and F. E. Sergil, eds.). Florida Museum of Natural History and Wacahooto Press, Gainesville, 482pp.
- Hapeman, P., E. Latch, J. Fike, O.E. Rhodes, and C.W. Kilpatrick. 2011. Landscape genetics of fishers (Martes pennanti) in the northeast: Dispersal barriers and historical influences. Journal of Heredity, 102:251-259.
- Ardren, W.R., P.W. DeHaan, S.T. Smith, E.B. Taylor, R. Leary, C. Kozfkay, L. Godfrey, M. Diggs, W. Fredenberg, J. Chan, C.W. Kilpatrick, M.P. Small, and Denise K. Hawkins. 2011. Genetic structure, evolutionary history, and conservation units of Bull Trout in the Coterminous United States. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 140:506-525.
- Feroze, A., S.A. Malik, and W.C. Kilpatrick. 2010. Phylogenetic relationships of medically important vipers of Pakistan inferred from cytochrome B sequences. Journal of Animal and Plant Science, 20:147-157.
- Norris, R. W., C. A. Woods, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2008. Taxonomic status of Calomyscus hotsoni (Rodentia: Muridae: Calomyscinae): Based on morphological and molecular data. Journal of Mammalogy, 89:306-315.
- Perlut, N. G., C. R. Freeman-Gallant, A. M. Strong, T. M. Donovan, C. W. Kilpatrick, and N. J. Zalik. 2008. Agricultural management affects evolutionary processes in a migratory songbird. Molecular Ecology, 17:1248-1255.
- Bradley, R. D., N. D. Durish , D. S. Rogers , J. R. Miller , M. D. Engstrom , and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2007. Toward a molecular phylogeny for Peromyscus: Evidence from mitochondrial cytochrome-b sequences. Journal of Mammalogy, 88:1146-1159.
- McPartland, J. M., R. W. Norris, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2007. Tempo and mode in endocannabionoid system evolution. Journal of Molecular Evolution, 65:267- 276.
- Janecka, J. E., T. L. Blankenship, D. H. Hirth, C. W. Kilpatrick, M. E. Tewes, and L. I. Grassman, Jr. 2007. Evidence for male-biased dispersal in bobcats using relatedness analysis. Wildlife Biology 13:38-47.
- McPartland, J. M., R. W. Norris, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2007. Coevolution between cannabinoid receptors and endocannabinoid ligans. Gene, 397:126- 135.
- Huchon, D., P. Chevret , U. Jordan, C. W. Kilpatrick, V. Ranwez, P. D. Jenkins, J. Brosius, and J. Schmitz. 2007. Multiple molecular evidence for a living mammalian fossil. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 104:7495-7499.
- McPartland, J. M., M. Glass, I. Matias, R. W. Norris, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2007. A shifted repertoire of endocannabionoid genes in the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Molecular Genetics and Genomics, 277:555-570.
- Janecka, J. E., T. L. Blankship, D. H. Hirth, M. E. Tewes, C. W. Kilpatrick, and L. I. Grassman, Jr. 2006. Kinship and social structure of bobcats (Lynx rufus) from microsatellite and radio-telemetry data. Journal of Zoology, 269:494-501.
- Reeder, S. A., D. S. Carroll, C. W. Edwards, C. W. Kilpatrick, and R. D. Bradley. 2006. Neotomine-Peromyscine rodent systematics based on combined analyses of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA sequences. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 40:251-258.
- Yu, F., F. Yu, J. Pang, C. W. Kilpatrick, P. M. McGuire, Y. Wang, S. Lu, and C. A. Woods. 2006. Phylogeny and biogeography of the Peturista philippensis complex (Rodentia: Sciuridae), inter- and intraspecific relationships inferred from molecular and morphometric analysis. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 38:755-766.
- Lehr, M. A., C. W. Kilpatrick, R. C. Wilkerson, and J. E. Conn. 2005. Cryptic species in the Anopheles (Nyssorhynchus) albitarsis (Diptera: Culicidae) complex: incongruence between rapid arbitrary polymorphic detection polymerase chain reaction identification and analysis of mtDNA COI gene sequences. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 98: 908-917.
- Fairley, T. L., C. W. Kilpatrick, and J. E. Conn. 2005. Intragenomic heterogeneity of rDNA internal transcribed spacers 1 and 2 in the Neotropical malaria vector, Anopheles aquasalis (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology, 42:795-800.
- Woods, C. A., and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2005. Infraorder Hystricognathi. Pp. 1538-1600, in Mammal Species of the World, A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (D. E. Wilson and D. M. Reeder, eds.). Third edition, John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore MD.
- Borroto-Pez, R., C. A. Woods, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2005. Sistemtica de las Jutas de las Antillas (Rodentia, Capromyidae). Pp. 33-50, in Proceedings of the International Symposium "Insular Vertebrate Evolution: the Palaeontological Approach" (J. A. Alcover and P. Bover, eds.). Monografes de la Societat d'Histria Natural de las Balears, 12.
- Jenkins, P. D., C. W. Kilpatrick, M. F. Robinson, and R. J. Timmins. 2005. Morphological and molecular investigations of a new family, genus and species of rodent (Mammalia: Rodentia: Hystricognatha) from Lao PDR. Systematics and Biodiversity, 2:419-454.
- Kilpatrick, C. W. 2005. DNA Storage. Pp. 360-363, in Encyclopedia of Diagnostic Genomics and Proteomics. Marcel Dekker, New York.
- Bradley, R. D., D. S. Carroll, M. L. Haynie, R. M. Martinez, M. J. Hamilton, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2004. A new species of Peromyscus from Western Mexico. Journal of Mammalogy, 85:1184-1193.
- Durish, N. D., K. E. Halcomb, C. W. Kilpatrick, and R. J. Bradley. 2004. Molecular systematics of the Peromyscus truei species group. Journal of Mammalogy, 85:1160-1169.
- Yu, F., P. M. McGuire, C. W. Kilpatrick, J. Pang, Y. Wang, S. Lu, and C. A. Woods. 2004. Molecular phylogeny of woolly flying squirrel (Rodentia: Sciuridae), inferred from mitochondrial cytochrome b gene seguences. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 33:735-744.
- Bradley, R. D., C. W. Edwards, D. S. Carroll, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2004. Phylogenetic relationships of Neotomine-Peromyscine rodents: based on DNA sequences from the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene. Journal of Mammalogy, 85:389-395.
- Norris, R. W., K. Zhou, C. Zhou, G. Yang, C. W. Kilpatrick, and R. L. Honeycutt. 2004. The phylogenetic position of the zokors (Myospalacinae) and comments on the families of muroids (Rodentia). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 31: 972-978.
- Norris, R. W., S. Morshed, W. C. Kilpatrick, C. A. Woods, P. L. Perelman, S. A. Romanenko, and V. G. Malikov. 2003. The new data on diversity of Calomyscus Thomas, 1905 (Rodentia, Calomyscinae). Pp. 166-169, in Systematics, Phylogeny and Paleontology of Small Mammals, Proceedings of International Conference, devoted to the 90th anniversary of Prof. I. M. Gromov (A. Averianov and N. Abramson, eds.). Russian Academy of Science, Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- Hirth, D. H., J. A. M. Petty, and C. W. Kilpatrick. 2002. Black bear, Ursus americanus, hair and apple trees, Malus pumila, in northeastern North America. Canadian Field Naturalist, 116:305-307.
- Kilpatrick, C.W. 2002. Non-cryogenic preservation of mammalian tissues for DNA extraction: an assessment of storage methods. Biochemical Genetics, 40:53-62.
- Allard, M.W., S.D. Baker, G.L. Emerson, J. Ottenwalder, and C.W. Kilpatrick. 2001. Characterization of the mitochondrial control region in Solenodon paradoxus and the implications for biogeographic, systematics and conservation management. Pp. 329-332, in Biogeography of the West Indies: New Patterns and Perspectives (C.A. Woods and F.E. Sergile, eds.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Woods, C.A., R. Borroto Paez, and C.W. Kilpatrick. 2001. Insular patterns and radiation of West Indian rodents. Pp. 333-351, in Biogeography of the West Indies: New Patterns and Perspectives (C.A. Woods and F.E. Sergile, eds.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Horst, G.R., D.B. Hoagland, and C.W. Kilpatrick. 2001. The mongoose in the West Indies - the biogeography of an introduced species. Pp. 407-422, in Biogeography of West Indies: New Patterns and Perspectives (C.A. Woods and F.E. Sergile, eds.). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Tiemann-Boege, I., C.W. Kilpatrick, D.J. Schmidly, and R.D. Bradley. 2000. Molecular phylogenetics of the Peromyscus boylii species group (Rodentia: Muridae) based on mitochondrial cytochrome b sequences. Molecular Phylogeny and Evolution, 16:366-378.
- Bradley, R.D., I, Tiemann-Boege, C.W. Kilpatrick, and D.J. Schmidly. 2000. Taxonomic status of Peromyscus boylii sacarensis: Inferences from DNA sequences of the mitochondrial cytochrome-B gene. Journal of Mammalogy, 81:875-884.
Faculty Directory Links
- Jim O. Vigoreaux
- Ingi Agnarsson
- Bryan Ballif
- Alison K. Brody
- Eugene Delay
- Rona Delay
- Alicia Ebert
- Charles J. Goodnight
- Nicholas J. Gotelli
- Sara Helms Cahan
- C. William Kilpatrick
- Joseph J. Schall
- Lori Stevens
- Judith Van Houten
Research Assistant Professors, Associates & Affiliates
- Joyce Bell
- Jan Decher
- Bin Deng
- Ken Helms
- Linden Higgins
- Wai Lam
- Janet Murray (e-mail)
- James Vincent (e-mail)
- Junji Yano (e-mail)
- William Ardren (e-mail)
- William Bress (e-mail)
- Eric Buel
- Patricia Dorn
- Julie Dragon (e-mail)
- Jeffrey Freeman
- Karen Hinkle
- Maria Carlota Monroy
- Michael Romano
- Steve Shapiro
- Charles Woods (e-mail)