Mission & Goals
Lake Champlain Sea Grant develops and shares science-based knowledge to benefit the environment and economies of the Lake Champlain basin. Our audience is business, state, and local leaders and the communities they serve.
Our goals support ecosystem-based approaches to planning and management that consider the lake and its entire drainage basin as a whole interconnected, complex system. Through outreach, education, and applied research, Lake Champlain Sea Grant strives to meet the following goals:
Resilient Communities and Economies
- Sustain and protect water resources to meet emerging needs of the communities, economies, and ecosystems of the Lake Champlain basin.
- Improve resilience of coastal communities and economies to changing environmental conditions.
Environmental Literacy and Workforce Development
- Inform an environmentally literate, engaged, and diverse public to improve community well-being in a changing Lake Champlain basin.
- Enable a diverse and skilled workforce to engage in the science and management of watershed and coastal resources in the Lake Champlain basin.
Healthy Coastal Ecosystems
- Protect, enhance, and restore the Lake Champlain basin's habitat, ecosystems, and the services they provide.
- Apply sound science, tools, and services to sustain land, water, and living resources.