Boating & Marinas
Lake Champlain is a treasured resource for residents and visitors alike. Its quality is dependent upon our actions both on the land and on the water, and the safety of boaters and anglers relies upon awareness of risks and steps to mitigate them. Lake Champlain Sea Grant works with marinas, boaters, and anglers to share information and best practices for clean and safe boating.
Everyday actions of boaters and anglers can impact lake quality. We have the ability to keep our waters clean, whether by taking steps to prevent fuel spills or transport of aquatic invasive species or by ensuring fishing line and sewage are properly disposed. Marina staff also must be prepared to prevent spills and respond in the event of an accident. Lake Champlain Sea Grant provides a variety of educational resources to help educate boaters and anglers to keep them safe and the water clean.
Each year in early spring, the Vermont Boat and Marine Association, Lake Champlain Basin Program, Lake Champlain Sea Grant, and UVM Extension host an annual meeting of marina owners and operators. The event gives marina owners and operators a chance to reconnect after the winter and to learn about relevant policies, funding opportunities, and research and outreach activities.
For Marina Owners and Operators
- 2019 marina meeting agenda (PDF)
- 2019 oil spill prevention and response training event
- Environmental management planning for marinas (PDF): A workbook to help plan and implement controls and actions to improve environmental management of boating business operations
- Oil spill prevention and response resources
- Pumpout facilities funding: Clean Vessel Act Grant | Boating Infrastructure Grant
- Signs and educational brochures to promote clean, safe boating habits among patrons
- U.S. Coast Guard boating safety resources
For Boaters and Anglers
- Clean Boating Course from BoatUS (PDF): This free, online course shows simple steps boaters can take to reduce impacts of boating activities on our waterways.
- Educational information for fishing tournament anglers about how to reduce spread of aquatic invasive species
- Smartphone application including Lake Champlain and Lake George marinas with sewage pump-out facilities to help locate the nearest open and operational pump-out