View from Ira Allen Chapel

Select from our list of topics for specific answers to your frequently asked questions.

CATcard, including Lost/Stolen

What is a CATcard?

CATcard is the name of the identification card at UVM.  It is a picture ID which serves as a library card, meal card and CAT$cratch card.  The CATcard also can be programmed for building access. 

Who is eligible for a CATcard?

All actively enrolled students including actively enrolled Continuing Education Students. All Faculty/Staff. Temporary employees are eligible but must have a PDF iconTemporary Staff (PDF) form filled out. It must be signed by a supervisor and either include a chart string to cover the $10.00 cost of the card or the employee pays the $10.00. If an expiration date is not specified by the supervisor the card will be active for one year from date of production.Spouse or Civil Union partners of benefit-eligible UVM faculty or staff are eligible for a card. You must visit the Human Resource Services office (Waterman Building Room 228) to pick up the UVM Spouse ID Application, commonly called the "green form." The form must be filled out and signed both by the employee and by a representative of Human Resource Services. The employee need not accompany the spouse or partner to the CATcard office, but the spouse must bring the completed ID form.

When can I get my CATcard?   

First year and transfer students are eligible to get their card at orientation or any time thereafter. All other students are eligible to get their CATcard one week before the start of classes. Faculty and Staff are eligible once they are in the PeopleSoft system.

What does the valid thru date mean on my card? 

Before or on the date displayed on your card you will have to come in to our office for a free renewal if eligible. The card will no longer work after the valid thru date has passed.

Did you get a new phone?

If you previously had your card on your phone and have obtained a new phone see the knowledge based articles on your device type iPhone or Android for assistance. If you need further assistence you can contact the CATcard Service Center 802-656-4509 during regular business hours so that we can reset your account. Once the reset has been completed, delete the GET app and re-download the app on your new phone.

Does it cost money for a CATcard?

For Students and Faculty/Staff your first CATcard is at no cost.  Check our Rate Schedule for all other prices.

What if I lose my CATcard?

If you are not sure where your card is you can log on to either GET or the WEBcard Center to flag it lost. Once it is flagged lost no one can use it until you unflag it. You can also call the CATcard Service Center 656-4509 during business hours, if it is closed call the UVM Police Service at 656-3473. Your card will be turned off so that no one else can use it.  If you find your card go the CATcard Office or Police Services to have it turned back on.  This is at no charge but this must be done in person.  If your card cannot be found, come into the CATcard Office to obtain a new one for $25.00.  Once you have a new one the old one will never work again. 

What if my CATcard is broken or damaged? 

You can turn in your most current card and replace it for $10.00. If you no longer have the most current card it is treated as a lost card and it is a $25.00 charge. 

How can I access a building/office with my CATcard? 

If you require building access and are faculty, staff or graduate student please have this form filled out by your supervisor, signed by the Dean's office and emailed to

Key Access Request Form

If you are an undergraduate student please have this form filled out by your Dean's office and emailed to 

Undergraduate Access_Request_Form  

CATcard Terms and Conditions

CATcard Mobile Terms and Conditions (PDF)


CAT$cratch, including Deposit

What is CAT$cratch and why would I need it?

CAT$cratch is UVM's prepaid debit account which works right off your CATcard. Opening a CAT$cratch account is a safe, convenient way to have access to goods and services without always having your purse or wallet with you. Typically you will have your ID card with you as it is needed for your residence hall and to access your meal plan. CAT$cratch has no fees attached so you will never overdraw this account. If you lose a debit or credit card it may take a couple weeks to replace, where as the CATcard can be replaced the same day.

How do I open an account and make deposits?

Opening an account is easy, just print off the application form and either mail it or bring it in to our office. After the account is open you can make deposits in our office, using cash, check, and credit or debit card. If writing a check, make payable to UVM. Deposits can be made through our secure website, just click web deposit. Credit card deposits are treated as a payment and not a cash advance by your credit card company. Remember, CAT$cratch rolls over semester to semester and year to year. If you have a balance left when you graduate or leave the University we take a $10.00 closing fee and send you a check for the rest.

Who can open a CAT$cratch account?

Anyone who has any type of ID from the CATcard Office is able to open a CAT$cratch Account. This includes CATcard, courtesy cards for dependents, UVM Medical Residents, dining services, vendor and alumni cards.

How do I check my balance?

Log onto your GET app or Using the WEBcard Center you can check your balance and transaction history. Giving your parents your WEBcard password (different from your e-mail password) and your e-mail address will allow them to also check your balance and transaction history.

Where can CAT$cratch be used?

CAT$cratch can be used for a variety of goods and services including buying books at UVM Bookstore and groceries downtown at City Market. For a complete list of hundreds of locations, check our CAT$cratch Off-Campus and CAT$cratch On-Campus Merchants.

Do I need a debit or credit card?

CAT$cratch cannot be used for cash withdrawals so it is a good idea to have a way to access cash.

What if I lose it, can someone else use it?

Your CATcard is a photo ID which is checked at the time of purchase. Businesses not only check the photo but require a signature as well.

What is the difference between CAT$cratch and meal points?

Meal points will work only on campus and do not roll over year to year. CAT$cratch rolls over year to year and semester to semester. CAT$cratch works on campus including all the dining locations, vending machines, the UVM Bookstore, CATpause, Henderson's and over 100 off-campus locations in the Burlington area. All first year students and sophomores are required to have a meal plan. Please contact the meal plan office for more detailed information.

If I am an employee can I have payroll deduction for CAT$cratch?

Yes, you can set up automatic deductions through PeopleSoft Self Serve.

Still have questions?

For any questions we have not covered, please feel free to call us at 656-4509 or stop by our office on the first level of the Billings Library. You can e-mail and we will get back to you within two business days.


Can I Get a refund of the balance of my CAT$cratch account?

A refund will be automatically issued to anyone graduating from the University of Vermont.  The balance of your account minus a $10.00 fee is sent to Student Accounts.  If you owe the University funds they will be deducted before a check is sent to your current address that is on file with the University.  For anyone withdrawing or ending their employment with the University you will need to request a Closing form from the CATcard office and then send it to the CATcard Office for processing. 

How can I get a refund if a vending machine takes my money and I did not get the product?

For anyone living in a Residence Hall you MUST report the loss to the complex supervisor.  They will need to know what machine, the date and time, how much was deducted from your account.  They will send the information to the CATcard Office for processing.