These annual awards celebrate enterprises that stand out for their innovative practices, corporate governance, and contributions to their communities and industries.
Save the Date! The 13th Edition Vermont Legacy and Family Enterprise Award will take place on Sept. 27th, 3:00 - 5:00 pm at the Grossman School of Business.
12th Edition Vermont Legacy and Family Enterprise Award Winners (2023)
Casella Waste Systems, Inc.
Who can be nominated?
Innovative Enterprises in the following categories can be nominated: (1) 1st Gen: Start-up or purchased firms with multiple family members in ownership or operations., (2) Multi-Gen - Family Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family., (3) Multi-Gen - Global Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family., (4) Vermont Legacy Enterprise: Vermont based business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success..
Who can nominate?
Nominations can be submitted by the company (self-nominations) or by associated parties.
What is the judging criteria?
The judging panel will evaluate the nominations and select the winners based on the following criteria: (1) Financial success of the company, (2) Governance of the enterprise, (3) Contributions to the community and industry, and (4) Innovative business practices or strategies
Who are the judging committee members?
Archana Chaudhary of Jairpur Rugs, India | 2023 Multi-Generation Global Family Enterprise Award Winner
Jen Fleckenstein ('03) of Clear Water Filtration | 2023 Multi-Generation U.S. Family Enterprise Award Winner
Molly Heaney of J. M. Huber | 2021 Multi-Generation Global Family Enterprise Award Winner
Paul Ligon ('90) of Casella Waste Systems, Inc. | 2023 Vermont Legacy Award Winner
Alex Racicot ('85) of The Boot Pro Ski & Sports | 2023 First Generation Family Enterprise Award Winner
Steve Schlesinger ('83) of Sago | 2016 Multi-Gen Global Family Enterprise Award Winner
Pramodita Sharma, Professor and Schlesinger-Grossman Chair of Family Business at UVM Grossman School of Business (non-voting chair)
1st Generation Family Enterprise | These are start-ups or purchased firms with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- 2023: Boot Pro Ski & Sports, Ludlow, VT
- 2022: Slopeside Syrup/UnTapped, Richmond, VT
- 2021: Lawson's Finest Liquids, Waitsfield, VT - Video: The Lawson's Story
- 2020: American Flatbread at Lareau Farm, Waitsfield, VT
- 2019: Rhino Foods, Inc., Burlington, VT
- 2018: The Alchemist, Stowe, VT
- 2016: The RehabGYM, Williston, VT
- 2015: MyWebGrocer, Winooski, VT
- 2013: A.W. Brown Pet & Garden Store, East Longmeadow, MA
- 2012: DLC Management Corporation, Tarrytown, NY
Multi-Gen Family Enterprise - Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- 2023: Clear Water Filtration, Waitsfield, VT
- 2022: J.M. Huber Corporation
- 2021: Giroux’s Poultry/Grains/Orchards, Chazy, NY
- 2021: Healthy Living Market, South Burlington, VT
- 2020: r.k. Miles, Inc., Middlebury, VT
- 2020: Ruge’s Automotive, Inc., Rhinebeck, NY
- 2019: Trapp Family Lodge, Stowe, VT
- 2019: Bergman Real Estate Group, Iselin, NJ
- 2018: Curtis Packaging, Sandy Hook, CT
- 2018: Lake Champlain Chocolates, Burlington, VT
- 2017: Foley Inc., Piscataway Township, NJ
- 2017: New England Kenworth, Shelburne, VT
- 2015: Boyden Valley Winery, Caimbridge, VT
- 2014: Butternut Mountain Farm, Morrisville, VT
- 2013: State Garden Inc. / Olivia's Organics, Chelsea, MA
- 2012: Sagamore Golf, North Hampton, NH
Multi-Gen Global Enterprise - Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- 2023: Jaipur Rugs, India
- 2022: Thermax Limited, Pune, India
- 2021: J. M. Huber Corporation, Edison, NJ
- 2017: Cardinal Shoes, Lawrence, MA
- 2016: Schlesinger Associates, Iselin, NJ
- 2015: The Barton Group, Glens Falls, NY
- 2014: Alqueria Dairy, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2013: DiLeonardo International, Warwick, RI
Vermont Legacy Enterprise - Vermont based business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success.
- 2023: Casella Waste Systems, Inc., Rutlaned, VT
- 2022: Twincraft Skincare, Winooski, VT
- 2021: H. N. Williams Store, Inc, Dorset, VT - Video: The H. N. Williams Story
- 2020: Trow & Holden Company, Barre, VT
- 2019: O'Brien Brothers, South Burlington, VT
- 2018: Foster Brothers Farm / Vermont Natural Ag Products Inc., Middlebury, VT
- 2017: Basin Harbor, Vergennes, VT
- 2017: Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks, Montpelier, VT
- 2016: Addison Press, Middlebury, VT
- 2015: Branon Family Maple Orchards, Fairfield, VT
- 2014: Wayside Restaurant, Montpelier, VT
- 2013: Dakin Farms, Ferrisburg, VT
- 2012: Maple Landmark Inc., Middlebury, VT
Past Event Photos
- 2023 Photos
- 2022 Photos
- 2021 Photos
- 2020 Video
- 2019 Photos
- 2018 Photos
- 2017 Photos
- 2016 Photos
- 2015 Photos
- 2014 Photos
- 2013 Photos
- 2012 Photos
For any questions about the Family Business Institute Awards please email firstname.lastname@example.org